Why do they say not to use Neosporin as a lubricant?

Discuss all things ear stretching

by akPhilly » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:37 am

Can someone please tell me once & for all why it isn't good to use Neosporin as a lubricant when you're stretching?I can see why it wouldn't be good to keep using it over time as a moisturizer since it's antibacterial & your body can get too used to it,but I mean just once every month or two when you do your stretches.I've noticed that the vast majority of the time when you watch stuff on Youtube,read stuff on the internet,& whatnot about stretching,people will say do this & don't do that,but they rarely if never give a reason as to why.It makes me wonder if they're just repeating what they've heard & been told & don't even know the reason,but are trying to come off as super knowledgeable.I guess regardless if it's the correct advice,that's all that matters,but if someone says something's good or bad,I like to know the reason because when it comes to stretching,no matter what one person says,someone else will say they're wrong.To the point where literally,someone could be like,'When you go to do a stretch,it really isn't a good idea if you wipe your ass w/your hand before you do it',& I guarantee you someone would STILL say 'No that's wrong,it can be very helpful to wipe your ass w/your hand first'.Now,I know that's a ridiculous exaggeration,but you all know what I mean.People spend so much time starting things out w/'first of all,it's called stretching,not gauging,& they're called plugs....',that when it comes to important stuff,like safety & health,they just say do this,don't do that,& they don't discuss the reasons.
AkPhilly,
Philadelphia,PA
3/4" (19mm) earlobes
14g industrial
12g tongue
7 tattoos
retired septum (though considering resurrecting it :),monroe,navel

WANT: both conchs,& microdermal,& more tattoos!
akPhilly

by corazon_de_oro » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:43 am

Well, many people say that because Neosporin can actually trap bacteria because of its thick, goopy texture. It's kind of like Vaseline. That being said, if you've stretched properly you shouldn't have any open wounds and it probably won't hurt you, but that's the reason Neosporin/ointments should never be anywhere near a new piercing. I think it even says on the package not to use it on puncture wounds.
I just don't see why anyone would use Neosporin to stretch with, because it's not slippery like the oils (jojoba, vitamin E, emu, etc) and really just won't work as well. Also, it doesn't have any ingredients that benefit your skin.

So basically, if you stretch properly and have no open wounds, Neosporin probably isn't going to hurt you. However, you should make sure it's cleaned off afterward so you don't create a breeding ground for more bacteria.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by akPhilly » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:28 am

Yeah,I guess now that you mention the texture,also w/it being thick,it's probably a bit messier;since it's so much thicker sometimes it can collect on the front,& make everything more difficult to grasp w/your hands.I've never used it as a moisturizer;like I said,I would think that using any anti-bacterial daily isn't good,would be kind of like when people use dial & purell & it ends up killing the good bacteria too,plus can make your body develop a resistance.But I did use it one time when I didn't have any oils,& other than the messiness,using it one time didn't seem to hurt anything.But my ears have never actually bled or torn,so maybe that's why it didn't seem to do any harm.
AkPhilly,
Philadelphia,PA
3/4" (19mm) earlobes
14g industrial
12g tongue
7 tattoos
retired septum (though considering resurrecting it :),monroe,navel

WANT: both conchs,& microdermal,& more tattoos!
akPhilly

Return to Ear Stretching Discussion