Swollen and sore

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by Paulnlace8908 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:05 am

On wednesday, my piercer stretched my wars from a 2g to a 00. I know I know. Shouldn't have skipped sizes but I did lol. Anyway.. My ears are a little swollen and very sore. There's no blow out or blood or anything like that. Is it just because I skipped sizes that they're so sore? My piercer thinks it's because I'm pregnant that they're swollen. Any suggestions to help the soreness go down or even away?
Paulnlace8908

by bradykay90 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:26 am

Just beause u dnt see a blow out or blood doesnt mean it wont happen u need to down size and do it right
My left lobe is 1/2" my right is 00g.
bradykay90

by corazon_de_oro » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:32 am

Wow, NEVER go back to that piercer. I mean, a lot of good piercers give questionable advice about stretching but skipping sizes like that is a different story. Especially on a pregnant woman! 0G is a 2mm jump from 2G (which is why I always recommend 1G jewelry) and most 00G is 10mm so you might have had your ears stretched by 4mm all at once! THAT is why they are swollen, it's not because you're pregnant.

You really need to downsize back to 2G to take the stress off your ears, because a blowout can still happen even days after a stretch. Your ears have gone through a lot of trauma and if you leave the 00G they will be very difficult to heal, which is not good when you're pregnant. Most people advise against getting body modifications while pregnant anyway just because of the extra strain they put on your body. Stretching would usually be fine because if it's done slowly and gradually it doesn't hurt or create any open wounds.

For future reference, stretching should always be done one size at a time and very slowly no matter what a piercer tells you. Leave around 6-8 weeks between each size, or until you can stretch without pain or resistance. The 2G-0G and 0G-00G stretches are odd because they're big jumps that really can't be safely made all at once for most people. You can get 1G jewelry at bodyartforms.com, and for your 00G stretch make sure it's 9mm at first and not 10mm. I treated 00G like two separate stretches.

Good luck, I hope everything heals okay for you!
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by bradykay90 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:41 am

/\ lindsay is the best listen to her theres her voilent and another they kno there shit so listen to them. They have taught me alot
My left lobe is 1/2" my right is 00g.
bradykay90

by Paulnlace8908 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:01 am

Thanks for the advice! The piercer is actually a friend of mine so I've always trusted his judgement.. But this pain just hurts. I've been doing the stretching process for over a year so I've been taking my time. I don't know why I thought it would be a good idea to skip sizes, seeing as I never have before. I think I should go down in size, so I'll check out that website. Thanks again :)
Paulnlace8908

by corazon_de_oro » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:50 am

You're welcome. :) Unfortunately there's tons of bad advice out there with stretching, even from piercers and friends. It's good that you've decided to downsize; your ears will be MUCH happier and they will heal a lot faster!
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

Return to Aftercare, Healing and Safety