SnapPlugs

Discuss and explore a wide range of topics. Share your views, discoveries. experiences or anything else that comes to mind, ear stretching or non ear stretching.

by subakamoo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:07 pm

http://www.stretchlogic.com

Hello!

So I found out about SnapPlugs through reading an ad in The Point (APP's Journal)
But I haven't been able to find any pictures of people wearing them, or anything but 5 (mostly positive) reviews on their website.

Has anyone used them?
If so what do you think?

(I read about them on these forums:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1182

and BodyArtForm's forum site:

http://forums.bodyartforms.com/showthre ... snap+plugs )

And there have been some good questions raised, like how the material starts to break down/isn't good in your ears after 30 days. And that they're plastic you throw out.

Those are my main concerns, I'm at 4g and have been for almost a year, and I don't want to mess up my ears by putting toxins in them, especially since there's a little scar tissue in my holes from stretching when my ears weren't ready (I still have trouble fitting some double flares in my ear)

So....What do you think? :]
subakamoo

by corazon_de_oro » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:41 pm

I would definitely use them if they were a different material. Also, the wait times they recommend are a little short. If you're going to use them, I'd suggest waiting 6-8 weeks once you reach each full mm.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by TheGreyEyedMonster » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:39 pm

yeah, the cheapness of it has a me concerned. if it was like a surgical grade steel id like it a bit more. though i do appreciate that it goes up by 1mm each time instead of normal sizes that jump 1,5 or 2 mm each time.
"We think caged birds sing, when indeed they cry out."

Have
10mm Lobes (to be 16mm)
(R)Helix
Want
(L)ear- Double Helix, Tragus, Rook, 2nd&3rd Lobes
(R)ear- 6g Helix Punch, Industrial, 2nd&3rd Lobes
Nape
Tongue Web
(R)Nostril
TheGreyEyedMonster

by ast.riske » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:31 pm

According to the BAF thread referenced above, the material they use is a medical-grade, sterilizable plastic. I doubt it is going to leak chemicals, but I'm not too keen on putting plastic in a fresh stretch.

Corazon, it looks like on the low side, it's 3-ish months to go from 4g to 0g. Definitely too short. On the high side, though, they are saying it should take about 10 months. I am more okay with that time frame.

Greyeyedmonster, the size they are quoting is the circumference of the plug, the diameter is about .3mm from one size to the next. This isn't a terrible stretch IMHO.

All of this said, I agree with something one of the people on BAF said, it's like taping for dummies. Personally, I would avoid using these just because there's nothing you can't do with ptfe or bondage tape for a lot less money. I would also be iffy about the edges as you do the transitions. They might scrape which is no better than using externally threaded jewelry (ewwwwww).

Honestly, I would be pleased if they sold this at hot topic and spencer's, as the general public would be introduced to a slower, more gradual stretch, but I think that there are far better ways to go about stretching than disposable plastic plugs.

Tl;dr

I agree with the above posts, probably not the best thing for stretching.
Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster; and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you.
-Fredrick Nietzsche

Pericings:
2g Lobes
6g Septum

Want:
Frenulum Linguae
Left inner conch
Right helix
ast.riske

by subakamoo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:07 pm

The main reason I'm tempted to use these is because it's so hard to find "low-impact" stretching (in-between gauges or by mms), my ears have had problems stretching and I'm only at a 4 (maybe I also did it too fast for my body....)
And the rep said the gap between the 2 sizes is a fraction of a hair wide....
(Overall the product is good but I just wish it was steel or glass and NOT disposable, I understand the convenience of plastic but....I'd rather it was steel, if it was steel they would not be able to keep it in stock....)

But...they mentioned in the thread after 30 days the material starts to break down a little which is why the most you can wear them is that....and I'm really against wearing acrylic especially to stretch (though it is plastic that is okay to wear in your body)

And the most sketchy thing I find about this product is the lack of any user-reviews or pictures or anything....

When I first found it (in APPs magazine) I was all for it, especially because it was in APP but as I've been looking more and more into it I'm getting less and less excited about it....my body is really reactive to things like plastic and wearing them for 5-10 months straight seems a little iffy....the good thing is the cheapness of the product so I could always downsize to glass or steel......but I don't know....

I would really like to talk to someone who has/is using them....
subakamoo

by stashapistachio » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:28 am

I've never seen them, so I don't really have much of an input...
But the material as far as I know is used in surgical equipment (mainly displays and stuff) as its easy to clean. That doesn't make it implantable, and doesn't mean I want it in my body.
And the whole snap thing freaks me a bit. I'm so so clumsy I'd probably get skin stuck in there :/

Glasswearstudios sell all the inbetween sizes now (like 9g, ooh!). And taping is still a good alternative, its hardly a difficult thing to do.
stashapistachio

Return to General Discussion