Who Really Takes The Time To Care???

Discuss and explore a wide range of topics. Share your views, discoveries. experiences or anything else that comes to mind, ear stretching or non ear stretching.

by Hayleylynn » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:39 am

Grahh. Seriously? people who really go out of their way to say "youre an idiot for saying ear 'GAUGING'" irritate the f*ck out of me! I 'like'ed the Ear Gauges page and moments after my friend posted "There's a page dedicated to Ear "Gauges" .... U srs?". She thinks everybody has to say ear "Stretching". Jeez people can say it how ever they want. you dont need to think youre better than everybody else for saying stretching. yeah I say Stretching but its whatever, am i right? I know for a fact that she used to say "gauges" or "gauging". sorry she just posts about it so often i had to say something. Just hate it when people think they are better than somebody over a f*cking word. I love her to death but she makes me wanna stomp a kitten when she has to point stupid sh*t like that out. Thank You. :) haha.
"ciggerettes are just like hampsters...they are safe until you stick one in your mouth and set it on fire."-Will Ferrell ;D
Hayleylynn

by corazon_de_oro » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:23 pm

I have to admit, hearing people say "gauges" sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me but I also have to admit that I once thought that was what it was called. When my friends say it incorrectly I don't correct them, I just say "stretching" and hope they'll catch on.
No one thinks they're better than anyone else, people are just trying to promote the correct words.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by hiptocode » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Not me.

I say stretching. Seems like only teens say gauging. Never heard someone old enough to be out of high school say gauging.

I don't really care what people call it. More people who don't really understand ear stretching have at least heard of gauging, so depending on who I am talking to I might say "gauging or stretching" and teach them the proper term.
hiptocode

by Hayleylynn » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:46 pm

See I understand what you two are saying but my friend has to talk shit about the person who says it. She calls them an idiot and basically will drop her respect for them for a word. That's why it irritates me because I was going threw pics and I noticed a comment of hers saying "gaaaaauuuggggeeeesss!!!<3" so she's being hypocritical. Its frustrating. But I know I can't change people's view points but damn. Ha.
"ciggerettes are just like hampsters...they are safe until you stick one in your mouth and set it on fire."-Will Ferrell ;D
Hayleylynn

by hiptocode » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:47 pm

Hayleylynn wrote:See I understand what you two are saying but my friend has to talk shit about the person who says it. She calls them an idiot and basically will drop her respect for them for a word. That's why it irritates me because I was going threw pics and I noticed a comment of hers saying "gaaaaauuuggggeeeesss!!!<3" so she's being hypocritical. Its frustrating. But I know I can't change people's view points but damn. Ha.

It one thing to be knowledgable, its another to act like an A$$HOLE! Some people just call it gauging, terminology can evolve with time. Tell her to stop being an idiot, people use slang all the time.
hiptocode

by corazon_de_oro » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:33 pm

Oh man, she sounds like a huge hypocrite. Apparently she just learned the proper terms and is being really cocky about it. Don't let that ruin your opinion of everyone who corrects people!
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by DncGvnDnc » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:54 am

The term "gauging" really does bother me as well, but I don't trip over it. I am not one to trip out on people for saying wrong terminology as I am not a grammar nazi haha.
DncGvnDnc

by Winter Hope311 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:12 pm

corazon_de_oro wrote:No one thinks they're better than anyone else, people are just trying to promote the correct words.

Kinda taking a big leap there speaking for the general public! I have heard many people belittle others over this very subject. I've seen that you stay tactful in your advice/corrections, but you can't speak for everyone.
Winter Hope
26 years old

HAVE:
6g lobes
left nostril
tongue
navel
19 tattoos

WANT:
0g lobes
1 tattoo finished
1 cover-up
3 pending tattoos

RETIRED:
both nipples
Winter Hope311

by ast.riske » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:57 pm

Meh. I've found that people who go around blatantly correcting others grammar and belittling them tend to ACT like they are better than others because they don't FEEL they are good enough. Typically when people behave as if they were better than those around them, they feel they have something to prove. Long story short, I tend to agree with Lindsay, nobody thinks they're better. ; )

Seriously, though, there are correct and incorrect terms for all kinds of things. It is all in how you present your side that makes the difference. My coworker asked "when did you start gauging your ears?" I responded "I started stretching them a while ago." She may or may not have gotten the correction, but it's not my job to be the grammar police. She can go around verbing nouns if she likes. See what I did there? ; )

But since the discussion has brought it up, I'll go on record:

Gauge: a US/Canadian measurement standard. (Don't expect people in the UK to know how big 0g is, for example, though they may. If you say 8mm it will mean more.)

Stretch: the act of expanding, pulling or extending a material.

Example of use: I just stretched my eyelid piercing today and put in my new 4 gauge plug. It rubs my eyeball something fierce, but it was totally worth it
Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster; and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you.
-Fredrick Nietzsche

Pericings:
2g Lobes
6g Septum

Want:
Frenulum Linguae
Left inner conch
Right helix
ast.riske

by ViolentJayne » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:31 am

Example of use: I just stretched my eyelid piercing today and put in my new 4 gauge plug. It rubs my eyeball something fierce, but it was totally worth it

LMAO ^

I usually say stretching , but It doesn't really bother Me when people say gauging .... in fact I kinda wish gauging was the correct term just cause it sounds cooler lol it kinda rolls of the tongue I think thats why so many people pick up on it...

when people say " you wear gauges right ? " I usually say yeah I wear 4 gauges ( cause thats technically not incorrect right ? lol ), but when I am the one bringing it up I say " I have stretched ears " Or I stretched my ears .....or something like that
4ga lobes ,14ga 2nd hole lobes. 14ga tounge
full sleeve and 7 other Tattoos

SHE'S ALWAYS NICE
AND GIVES ADVICE
WHEN WE DONT HAVE A CLUE
SHE NEEDS NO HELP
FROM YOU
ViolentJayne

Next

Return to General Discussion