Opinions on Fake Plugs/Tapers?

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by mouse2cat » Tue May 22, 2012 4:02 pm

I love them. I was able to find high quality organic hanging designs as fakies. These were perfectly convincing, and people with stretched ears would come up to me to talk to me about them. I am sure cheap ones look cheap but there are really good ones out there and they are a real alternative. Especially if you are like me and wanted to make sure I really wanted to stretch my ears.

The disagreement here gets to the root of why people stretch. For many people the stretching process is the reason they stretch, and they can feel frustrated when people have this "shortcut". For me I stretch for aesthetic reasons. I love hanging designs and spirals. I waited so long to make up my mind because I have a HUGE collection of rather expensive 18G regular earrings. I love variety!

Honestly if more people are interested and wearing fakies and thinking about stretching. Ear mods will gradually become more accepted. Wouldn't that be nice?
mouse2cat

by AceWitThaLobes » Wed May 30, 2012 5:39 am

Kevin Strength wrote:Ahh fake "plugs" are stupid to me just to be honest,if you wanna stretch take your time its easy.I got to 7/8ths in two years,blew out my ears twice and did some stuff and now there perfect.

what did u do b/c i moved kinda fast too and had a few blow outs
1" lobes
tongue pierced, and dermal implant under left eye
retired belly button, septum, nostril, madison, nipples, 4 cartilage, labret, dimples
AceWitThaLobes

by akPhilly » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:18 am

Fake tapers & plugs are somewhat new to me;I'd never even knew of their existence until somewhat recently.They're probably more convincing than these ones I saw recently that sort of clipped on your ear-they had this thing at the bottom that was a dead giveaway.If my ears weren't stretched,I probably would not wear them myself-for me,it's kind of like wearing a fake anything,& the thing w/that is that no matter how convincing,I know that it's fake,& for me,that's what matters.I don't really wear or do things regarding my appearance for other people.But one girl on youtube was saying that she'd gotten a pair cause she wanted to stretch her ears for real,but before she did,she wanted to get an idea of how it would look on her,so for that,they're not a bad idea.Even though more than likely your ears would shrink back if say,you started doing it & went up a few sizes & decided the look wasn't for you,who wants to put in all that time & effort if you may just end up deciding you don't care for it.
AkPhilly,
Philadelphia,PA
3/4" (19mm) earlobes
14g industrial
12g tongue
7 tattoos
retired septum (though considering resurrecting it :),monroe,navel

WANT: both conchs,& microdermal,& more tattoos!
akPhilly

by mouse2cat » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:41 pm

My take on them is that they are not "fake" they are real earrings, made out of the same quality materials. There is nothing fake about that. It is just a style that looks really cool and people are excited about.

The decision to stretch your ears my also involve you giving up some very special 18g earrings. For example I can no longer wear my grandmothers earrings. That is a big deal to me. So I will never criticize anyone who wears "split expanders" or "fakes" especially if they buy high quality jewelry that looks good.
mouse2cat

by Smoottie » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:51 pm

I don't really care much about them, but it's quite annoying that sometimes, I see some plugs or spirals that I like, only to realise that they're fake, so I can't wear them. Not fun :x
Smoottie

Previous

Return to Jewelry Discussion