Pros and cons of different materials?

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by LucyFord » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:31 pm

ViolentJayne wrote:Im ordering those to only in black but I love them both ! I wanted to get to 4 ga first and I have been there a lil over a week , Im going to wait till Ive been at 4 ga for a few more weeks before I get them cause they are so big I dont know how heavy they will be .. but I have heard they are pretty light for glass

Oh, really?? Keep me updated! :D
Ka-chow.
LucyFord

by AussieGurl » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:35 pm

I'm using acrylic atm, I can't use surgical steel or anything with metal in it as I'm allergic. Dot wanna use glass. Can I use the acrylic or is it not good for me?
8mm/0G Both lobes
AussieGurl

by corazon_de_oro » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:38 pm

Is it a nickel allergy you have or are you also allergic to titanium? Titanium allergies are super rare so I just thought I'd ask.

Why don't you want to use glass? I've always stretched with it and I love it. Defintely my favorite jewelry material.

Acrylic isn't meant to be worn long-term or in new stretches so you'll want to find something else.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by AussieGurl » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:18 am

I'm allergic to both nickel and titanium as well. Even surgical steel titanium I can't wear (had my knees broken and realigned a few years ago, they put surgical steel titanium bolts in there, I got a allergic reaction while healing and had to wait for them to heal before I had them taken out)

I can't use glass as my knees (Have osteoarthritis) give out regularly and I fall down, so don't want to risk them getting broken.

Is there anything else you could suggest?

Thanks
8mm/0G Both lobes
AussieGurl

by corazon_de_oro » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:48 am

Glass plugs are very unlikely to break (I've dropped many from very high up and never broken a single one, even at tiny sizes) but maybe you could try teflon/PTFE? The only trouble with that is there's not much selection but you could wear that to give your lobes a break from acrylic.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by AussieGurl » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:10 am

I brought some 2 mm glass single flared tunnel plugs, they look really nice :D

Just gotta wait until I'm healed and I can put them in :)
8mm/0G Both lobes
AussieGurl

by ViolentJayne » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:40 am

glass is great for a new stretch .. you really shouldnt have to wait , I hope it works out :)
4ga lobes ,14ga 2nd hole lobes. 14ga tounge
full sleeve and 7 other Tattoos

SHE'S ALWAYS NICE
AND GIVES ADVICE
WHEN WE DONT HAVE A CLUE
SHE NEEDS NO HELP
FROM YOU
ViolentJayne

by AussieGurl » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:09 pm

I gotta wait from to arrive from the UK. I live in Australia. About 6-8 weeks to arrive. And they don't sell glass tapers or plugs or tunnels where I live. Only acrylic :(
8mm/0G Both lobes
AussieGurl

Previous

Return to Jewelry Discussion