Pros and cons of different materials?

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by LucyFord » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:15 am

I've only ever worn steel and acrylic, and I've found some gorgeous bone and hematite tunnels and glass pinchers.

What other jewelry materials have y'all worn? What do you think of them?
Ka-chow.
LucyFord

by LucyFord » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:57 am

Oh, and has anyone worn polymer clay jewelry? I'm curious about it.
Ka-chow.
LucyFord

by corazon_de_oro » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:45 pm

The best materials for your ears are glass, titanium, and surgical steel. Wood, bone, horn, silcione, and acrylic are fine short-term but shouldn't be worn long-term. And from what I've heard, polymer clay is really bad for your ears but I have no experience with it.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by stashapistachio » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:22 pm

Bone shouldn't be worn in mucous membranes (septums) and acrylic shouldn't be worn long term.
Organics & silicone are only for HEALED stretches as they're really really porous. Wood, bone & horn need to be oiled regularly, and you should keep them away from water. Avoid soaking stone too. But organics can minimise ear cheese, wood is super light and silicone is flexible and comfy.

Hemtite is heavy, and magnetic. But I like it (only for healed though!). Some glass contains lead, but not enough to worry about, theres usually more in the water.

And polymer clay, although isn't full of carcegens anymore, is very porous and isn't designed to be skin safe (not as body jewellery for sure). A lot of the dyes, glazes and varnishes people use are really dodgy too. Maybe if you wore through eyelets, but still; I'd be all 'meh'. Plus I think they look rather cheap and badly made irl. Acrylic is MUCH safer and nicer imo, and thats rubbish XD
Most things made with fimo can be done in glass or maybe wood.

Stick to glass, metal and ptfe/teflon/delrin to start.
stashapistachio

by LucyFord » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:43 am

I love glass, but I'm afraid of how delicate it could be... My friends like to hug me really hard. >.> There's some gorgeous treble clef glass earrings that I'm really wanting, I'd just hate to have them break! :]

And polymer clay, although isn't full of carcegens anymore, is very porous and isn't designed to be skin safe (not as body jewellery for sure). A lot of the dyes, glazes and varnishes people use are really dodgy too. Maybe if you wore through eyelets, but still; I'd be all 'meh'. Plus I think they look rather cheap and badly made irl. Acrylic is MUCH safer and nicer imo, and thats rubbish XD

Still doesn't sound promising!
I was just curious, I'd never heard of wearing clay as piercing jewelry before I checked out Etsy... Being able to wear glittery plugs sounds like fun, but they just don't look too great.
Ka-chow.
LucyFord

by stashapistachio » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:09 pm

Oh if you want glitter.. There are plenty of people who cast glitter in resin inside steel eyelets, and they're MUCH nicer than 'glitter' clay (which isn't very glittery at all)
Dichro glass is by far my favourite shiny though :)

Glass plugs are fine, I've had to break or even chip any. Hangies in small gauges can be fragile, but as long as you're careful...
stashapistachio

by TheGreyEyedMonster » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:24 pm

LucyFord wrote:I love glass, but I'm afraid of how delicate it could be... My friends like to hug me really hard. >.> There's some gorgeous treble clef glass earrings that I'm really wanting, I'd just hate to have them break! :]

glass plugs are really durable and sturdy as long as you don't like, drop them or smash them with a hammer XD

but what youre describing kind of sound like they are hanging jewelry? not sure how they would fare
"We think caged birds sing, when indeed they cry out."

Have
10mm Lobes (to be 16mm)
(R)Helix
Want
(L)ear- Double Helix, Tragus, Rook, 2nd&3rd Lobes
(R)ear- 6g Helix Punch, Industrial, 2nd&3rd Lobes
Nape
Tongue Web
(R)Nostril
TheGreyEyedMonster

by LucyFord » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:21 pm

but what youre describing kind of sound like they are hanging jewelry? not sure how they would fare

These are the earrings I'm talking about. :]
Last edited by LucyFord on Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ka-chow.
LucyFord

by LucyFord » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:23 pm

stashapistachio wrote:Oh if you want glitter.. There are plenty of people who cast glitter in resin inside steel eyelets, and they're MUCH nicer than 'glitter' clay (which isn't very glittery at all)
Dichro glass is by far my favourite shiny though :)

Glass plugs are fine, I've had to break or even chip any. Hangies in small gauges can be fragile, but as long as you're careful...

Oh yeah, dichros are sooooo pretty! I saw some swirls that look amazing.
Ka-chow.
LucyFord

by ViolentJayne » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:01 pm

Im ordering those to only in black but I love them both ! I wanted to get to 4 ga first and I have been there a lil over a week , Im going to wait till Ive been at 4 ga for a few more weeks before I get them cause they are so big I dont know how heavy they will be .. but I have heard they are pretty light for glass
4ga lobes ,14ga 2nd hole lobes. 14ga tounge
full sleeve and 7 other Tattoos

SHE'S ALWAYS NICE
AND GIVES ADVICE
WHEN WE DONT HAVE A CLUE
SHE NEEDS NO HELP
FROM YOU
ViolentJayne

Next

Return to Jewelry Discussion