the first negative reactions are the hardest

Share your ear stretching experiences.
Forum rules
NO SPAM

by melina » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:19 am

I've been stretching for a few months now, taking my time, and i'm at a 2 gauge so it's a bit more noticeable, especially with my new spirals.
I knew coming into this that many people wouldn't like it, and i'm used to that because I've been dying my hair hot pink, purple and red for a few years now and the old people at the supermarket still give me dirty looks.
i don't remember when i first heard people whisper about my hair and look away when i stared at them, but after a while i got used to it, and i'm ok with it because i like how it looks.
but today was the first time anyone said anything bad about my ears, and i'd forgotten what that was like, when you love something so much that you can't imagine someone thinking it was weird or gross, and then being reminded that not everyone thinks like you...
but it doesn't really matter because whether i have pink hair or water buffalo horn in my ears, the old people are still gonna look at me funny, the people at school are gonna whisper, and for every old person there's a four year old that says "look, mommy! she has pink hair, can i do that when i grow up?"
melina

by ericawinship » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:01 am

I go to art school and we have older people in our classes in their 40's and 50's and they love it when they see people who are different! People just give you dirty looks because they don't know any better, so when you get remarks...don't feel sad because they did that, feel sorry for them.
official ear stretching facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=inf ... 8509894164

official ear stretching vlog: http://www.youtube.com/user/iGiveSkeetSkeet
ericawinship

by melina » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:01 pm

for me it's not so much sad as it is shocking at first. the only other people who had said anything up until that point were my parents, and they were ok with it once i explained why stretching was so important to me.
I do actually feel sorry for the people who said something, not necessarily because they don't understand but because i know them and they're unfortunately very ignorant.
now that i'm over the initial "wait, what did they say?" i'm fine with it.
melina

by StrickyCub » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:34 pm

The other week my fiance and I were on the bus home from my shrink appointment in the city, facing the front, and there was a guy sitting accross from us, joined by some chick who got on the bus halfway out of the city.

They got to talking and blabbering on about everything the whole ride home, which is one thing that annoys me on buses, people who don't know how to keep their voice down so that not everyone can hear their business. They must have seen all the piercings me and my lady have and started talking about "You know some people stretch their ears out and make them real huge and everything." and "It's so disgusting, who'd want to have horrible hanging lobes when you're in your 80's."

I was getting so irritated and my missus had to calm me down so that I didn't say something and get us kicked off the bus. It pissed me off that people can be so close minded and make assumptions about people, and call them disgusting when they don't know shit about them or their reasons for doing it.

/end rant, I'm different and I don't hide it, and I will defend to the death my right to be it. :evil: if someone says shit to you, or gives you looks.... make something out of it. Ask them what their problem is or better yet, tell them to take a picture.

~Zack
Piercings: 7mm Left Lobe, Right Helix x2, nose, labret, left eyebrow x2
~~~~
Want:
Tongue
Snakebites
Nipples (after chest surgery)
Tragus

StrickyCub

by Hardware » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:38 am

You know, I have had my modifications for a very long time. I have learned that it just isn't worth getting mad over anymore. I get a LOT of looks, I have strangers trying to touch my face and get pictures with me. I get a lot of stares and even more questions.

I have learned that the best thing to do is to represent the modified community in a positive light by being a good person and representing myself well. People learn quickly that I am not some scary chick with daddy issues and that I am quite educated, warm and caring. Most people that stare at me I say Hello to and try to start a conversation with them. If they walk away, they will never stare at me again. If they open up the conversation, they often meet a new friend.

What I find a little sad is how some modified people treat my boyfriend, we get a lot of looks. He is 6' 4", muscular, short hair, no piercings, no tattoos and works as a home health care provider for the mentally disabled. Many of my friends ask what I see in him and that they could never date someone without tattoos and piercings, they often try to convince him to get modifications- but I love him for WHO he is and not how he looks.
It's not a revolution, it's a lifestyle.
Hardware

by StrickyCub » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:33 pm

Hardware wrote:You know, I have had my modifications for a very long time. I have learned that it just isn't worth getting mad over anymore. I get a LOT of looks, I have strangers trying to touch my face and get pictures with me. I get a lot of stares and even more questions.

I have learned that the best thing to do is to represent the modified community in a positive light by being a good person and representing myself well. People learn quickly that I am not some scary chick with daddy issues and that I am quite educated, warm and caring. Most people that stare at me I say Hello to and try to start a conversation with them. If they walk away, they will never stare at me again. If they open up the conversation, they often meet a new friend.

What I find a little sad is how some modified people treat my boyfriend, we get a lot of looks. He is 6' 4", muscular, short hair, no piercings, no tattoos and works as a home health care provider for the mentally disabled. Many of my friends ask what I see in him and that they could never date someone without tattoos and piercings, they often try to convince him to get modifications- but I love him for WHO he is and not how he looks.

Honestly I think the only reason people would be staring at you would be because they're thinking "Damn, who's that beautiful woman?" ;) 8-)
Piercings: 7mm Left Lobe, Right Helix x2, nose, labret, left eyebrow x2
~~~~
Want:
Tongue
Snakebites
Nipples (after chest surgery)
Tragus

StrickyCub

by amurika19 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:24 pm

What I think is the worst is when there are little kids, and the parents are teaching them to be close-minded.
Before I left for college I worked concessions at the zoo in my hometown and this little girl came up and told me that she liked my "big pink earrings". Her mom then said "No you don't honey, that isn't normal and she won't be able to do anything but this with those." After she made this comment, she pulled her daughter away from my counter without purchasing anything. Everyone always talks about the change that is happening in the US, but the older generations are hindering it from doing so because they're teaching they're change fighting was to their offspring.
This is the worst thing that's ever come from me having stretched my ears though. My lobes are at 9/16" now, and even my mom thinks they're cute one me, so I'm happy.
Getting my septum done soonn(:
Havezees
L.Nostril
Bottom R.Lip
Tongue
9/16" lobes(:
Wantzees
Septum
Infinity tattoo
R.Conch
I'm America.
amurika19

by Nic » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:34 am

lol people are so fuckin pathetic, judging others on how they look. its pathetic. Just take comfort in the fact that sumwhere, sum jerk who made a rude comment is gettin there ass kicked. I personally prefer to confront people when they talk shit, especially if i know that they cant back ther shit up. U dont have to take it. Oh well lol lifes full of assholes, at least we have our homies to support us =D
Left Lobe = 1 3/8in.
Right Lobe = 1, 3/8 in.
16g Bridge/Earl
14g/ 16g spider bites both sides
14g Tongue
6g Septum
Upcoming:
16g Angel bites
Retired:
Industrial
Nic

by corazon_de_oro » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:44 am

Wow, I can't believe that mother tells her children what they like and don't like! I love how kids are always so fascinated with body mods; when I'm at work a lot of kids even tell me they like my nostril piercing! (I only have one visible at work)
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by HiMyNameIsMegan » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:37 am

Yeah thats horrible no way should a kid be taught a way to think about people.
HiMyNameIsMegan

Next

Return to Ear Stretching Experiences