Ears red after using Emu Oil....?

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by camelhasahump » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:21 am

So I started using emu oil on my ears like twice a day. It's been two weeks since I last stretched and since the two week mark has passed I've been taking the steel tapers out and wiping them with peroxide with a Q-tip and then rubbing emu oil on my ear and then on my taper and twisted the taper so that the oil goes through my ear hole.

Now the problem is that the actual hole looks red in both ears but its not sore at all. My ears aren't allergic to the metal because they aren't irritated. I was wondering if it was normal for the holes to look red even though they don't hurt at all or look nasty outside of them being red. They weren't red like that before.
camelhasahump

by Nic » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:54 am

Peroxide is bad for ur ears, dries them up an irratates them causing the red color. Either that or ur ears just have a warm glow from the healthy bloodflow when u take ur plugs out.
Left Lobe = 1 3/8in.
Right Lobe = 1, 3/8 in.
16g Bridge/Earl
14g/ 16g spider bites both sides
14g Tongue
6g Septum
Upcoming:
16g Angel bites
Retired:
Industrial
Nic

by corazon_de_oro » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:08 pm

Skip the peroxide; like Nic said, it's too drying and can damage healthy cells which slows healing. Were your ears completely healed before your started using the emu oil? They might be getting irritated from the rubbing and twisting the jewelry. Also, wearing tapers can put extra pressure on stretches and irritate them. My advice is to get some single-flared plugs, put them in, and leave them alone until they're not sore anymore (don't use anything on them, don't remove, change, or twist the jewelry). Once they're healed, to clean the jewelry the best thing to do is just take them out in the shower and wash them with whatever you're washing the rest of your body with, or just wash them with antibacterial hand soap once or twice a day. If you do oil massages, remove the plug and rub it into the actual hole.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by Plaidsneakers » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:46 pm

I was on someone else's account, I made my own.

Anyway, my ears aren't and weren't sore at this point. They just look red in the holes and I'm guess its ok since they don't hurt. I'm thinking it might be something to do with me wearing tapers but I'm sure its directly related to the emu oil because it only started doing that after I started using it. But since my ear isn't hurting I'll just make sure not to mess with it so much anymore. We'll see how that goes. I'll probably be back. Thanks though!
Plaidsneakers

Return to Aftercare, Healing and Safety