Proper cleaning and care?

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by Rachidee » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:14 am

Hello. :] 5 weeks ago I decided to go from a regular old 1.6mm piercing in my left lobe, and stretch it to a 2mm. Was a bit of a wimp at first but I got it in, hurrah! Slight pain, throbbing etc, but wore off after couple days, then was fine. After a week or so I could turn and twist it comfortably, and I didnt mind sleeping on it. Then about a week and a half ago I noticed it was getting reeealllly itchy, and I mean...driving me crazy itchy, and it would also burn up and get hot, I'd have to take out the taper and hold a little ice pack to my lobe. The hot flushes have gone, and the itchyness has 80% gone, just the little niggles every couple of hours instead of 24/7. So this morning I went from a 2mm to a 2.4mm (adventurous, huh?) :P Im going as slowly as possible. But anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is there any particular way to clean it properly? I've been soaking it for 5/10 mins in a mixture of sea salt and boiled and cooled water, but my ear is still leaking LOADS, and its really starting to bug me! It doesnt smell but it does go crusty (eewww :| ) which makes me think Im not cleaning it properly? Is it best to go to the piercer and get piercing cleaner, or just persevere with the salt baths? and is there a rough time when the leakyness stops, or will that carry on forever? Any advice on the whole 'aftercare' thing will be appreciated, I've looked all over the internet and a thousand different people have a thousand different ways :/
Rachidee

by magalo le matelot » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:44 pm

The sea salt soaks are ok, I think you're just going to fast, you're suppose to wait at least 4 weeks between size. (maybe 3 weeks at smaller size)
    1 inch lobes, madison microdermal 16/07/10 and venoms 2/07/11.
    RIP self-done tongue web, retired wrist surface and tongue.

First tattoo on right thigh - line done (1h20)

Want: 4g septum, tattoo on left ribs/behing ear.
magalo le matelot

by HiMyNameIsMegan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:52 pm

Maybe you're allergic to what you're stretching with ^.^
HiMyNameIsMegan

by Rachidee » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:18 pm

HiMyNameIsMegan wrote:Maybe you're allergic to what you're stretching with ^.^

Steeeeel? D: I hope not. >.<

magalo le matelot wrote:The sea salt soaks are ok, I think you're just going to fast, you're suppose to wait at least 4 weeks between size. (maybe 3 weeks at smaller size)

I waited 5 weeks to go from a 2mm to a 2.4 :] The 2.4 didn't even stretch, it fitted in perfectly, so I've just bought a tunnel to go in for a few weeks to leave the taper out. Maybe it will calm down >.<
I'm Gon' Pick The World Up; & I'ma Drop It On Your Fuckin' Head. ;]
Rachidee

by HiMyNameIsMegan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:20 am

Yeah. Some people can be allergic to it even though its quite rare. Was the only thing i could think of ^.^.
HiMyNameIsMegan

by Rachidee » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:43 am

HiMyNameIsMegan wrote:Yeah. Some people can be allergic to it even though its quite rare. Was the only thing i could think of ^.^.

well that sucks! =P I just bought a steel tunnel aswell, bah.
Do you know how to get it to stop leaking/weeping?
Its getting really noticeable and I have to work with it in. :[
I'm Gon' Pick The World Up; & I'ma Drop It On Your Fuckin' Head. ;]
Rachidee

by HiMyNameIsMegan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:03 pm

That really sucks. I had problems with mine going from 6mm to 8mm and i had the crusty horrible ear so i just downsized but theres no leakyness! How much salt are you putting in ? Get a cup fill it with boiling water and put in about 1/4th of a teaspoon of seasalt wait til it cools a bit then sit with you're ear in it. Maybe the salt could be irritating you're ear cuz' you're using too much or maybe it's because you could be taking it out ^.^ Also try getting some vitamin e-oil putting a little on a cotton bud and just rub it around the jewelerry. The leaking should eventually stop. We all just react differently i suppose. >.<. Also do you lube you're ears before you stretch ?
Last edited by HiMyNameIsMegan on Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HiMyNameIsMegan

by StrickyCub » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:23 pm

^^
You could just be a bit sensitive to the sea salt, or maybe using too much, or doing it more often than you should
For me the sea salt soaks actually made my ears leak/weep for a few weeks, and my actual lobe was getting dry and itchy. As soon as I stopped doing the sea salt soaks and just washed my ears in the shower they started healing up.

You could try what I did and see if that helps at all.

~Zack
Piercings: 7mm Left Lobe, Right Helix x2, nose, labret, left eyebrow x2
~~~~
Want:
Tongue
Snakebites
Nipples (after chest surgery)
Tragus

StrickyCub

by Hardware » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:32 am

Are your earlobes still hot? What color is the discharge?

Also, there is no 'set time' for your ears to be ready to stretch. You need to make sure your ears are ready to be stretched. I personally tell people to wait 2 months between stretching.
It's not a revolution, it's a lifestyle.
Hardware

by corazon_de_oro » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:10 pm

Hardware wrote:Also, there is no 'set time' for your ears to be ready to stretch. You need to make sure your ears are ready to be stretched. I personally tell people to wait 2 months between stretching.

Agreed. Or at LEAST six weeks. My ears have never been ready to stretch at the six-week mark so I usually recommend 8 or so.
Also, how long had your ears been pierced? Did you wait at least 4-6 months after the original piercing to begin stretching them? Are you sure you were at 1.6mm before?
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

Next

Return to Aftercare, Healing and Safety