Hydrogen Peroxide?

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by Stu » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:36 pm

Well i've been stretching for a while, and have been doing my research to make sure i'm doing it correctly. Like, waiting 4-6 weeks, don't use acrylic on fresh stretches, etc. I also use jojoba oil to massage my ears once they are healed. I just recently stretched to 00 and it stung a little, but there was almost no resistance and they feel fine right now.

I was wondering if it is okay to use hydrogen peroxide to clean my ears?
And also, would it be better to do sea salt soaks and how would i go about doing that?
Stu

by Bone_Head311 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:55 pm

i hear you not suppose to use hydrogen peroxide. i just use soap and water.
Currently 10G. Next stretch: 12/20/2010
Bone_Head311

by twosharks » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:38 am

Saline soaks would be better. Peroxide is strong enough to kill fragile new skin cells. It's great for disinfecting a cat scratch, but not good for healing a piercing or making sure a stretch stays clean. Personally I feel if a stretch is healed and happy, it shouldn't need more than washing and oil massages. I don't use saline soaks unless I've got something that needs healing, or if it's in the first week or two after stretching just as a precaution.

1/4 tsp of pure salt, sea salt and kosher salts are usually pure, to 8oz very warm water. Just stick your ear in it for about ten minutes. Then rinse with clear water or soap and water. Better to use too little salt than too much, so cut down on the salt if your piercing starts looking or feeling dry.
I was two sharks and a monkey.
twosharks

by corazon_de_oro » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:27 pm

^ Good advice. But yeah, sea salt soaks aren't really necessary unless you have open wounds, which you shouldn't if you're stretching properly. All I really do for "cleaning" is wash my plugs off with soap and water every once in a while.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

Return to Aftercare, Healing and Safety