Went to a 4g and now it's bleeding and swollen and.. ugh.

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by BoomDoomPow » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:45 am

So, two days ago I went from a 6g to a 4g with a plastic taper, and when I took out the taper(today), it started bleeding more than I found comfortable. It had also become infected, so my lobe is swollen and warm.
Now I've put the 6g(spiral, plastic) back in, but I'm really worried about the whole thing, because I want to be able to size it back down, once I'm tired of my stretches.
I was planning to go for a 2g, but now I'm thinking of going down to a 8g and staying there for a while.
But that's just my plan. Should I be worried? Am I doing the right thing to heal it?
BoomDoomPow

by twosharks » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:52 am

Well, yeah, you should be concerned at the least. For one, your ear is torn but you have something porous in it, you need metal or glass jewelry for a healing piercing, and that goes double if an infection is possible. Lots of swelling and warmth, possible infection, these are all reasons to go smaller than 6g. The less pressure, the faster it will heal. Saline soaks, all that you would do for a new piercing, start doing it and do it for the length of time a new piercing takes to heal.

Now, about going larger. For one, anyone that is planning on getting tired of stretched lobes shouldn't be stretching. It's called a permanent mod because it may be one for you, even if it's not for everyone. For another, tearing and trauma cause more scarring. Scarring makes stretching harder, and it also makes shrinking less likely. So if you decide to go to 2g you're decreasing the likelihood your ears will get small again. By having torn your ear your chances have already gotten smaller.
I was two sharks and a monkey.
twosharks

by BoomDoomPow » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:05 pm

Thanks for the advice!
I decided to put my normal size(less than 1mm) gold earrings in, and let it heal as much as it could.
And it turned out good! After a week the hole had gone back to its normal size and look as if it had never been stretched. I've made sure to soak it every day.
Yesterday I put my 2mm taper in it. It went in smoothly with no pain.

Oh, and thanks for warning me about the whole permanent body mod deal. I've discussed it with my parents and have come to terms with the holes might not becoming smaller.
BoomDoomPow

Return to Aftercare, Healing and Safety