some help?

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by katesonamission » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:51 pm

So, i started with an 18G, left that in for two weeks, then moved to a 16G. After another week or so, went to a 14G, another week i went to a 12G. Six days later i switched to a 10G, which i have in now and plan on switching to an 8G after a week. I have been having very, VERY, little trouble moving up sizes (i'm using acrylic tapers) and i've been cleaning them every time i move up with my old ear piercing cleaning solution. Very little discomfort, none after the first two days and i make sure i spin them regularly in my ears so they don't stick (should i?). I only want to go to a 2G or a 0G, i'm just mad worried about ruining my ears forever. Can i have your advice on if i'm stretching too fast or doing anything wrong? Oh, and by the way i've had my ears pierced for at least 6 years now, just decided to start stretching recently.
katesonamission

by Slags » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:23 am

If I were you I would slow down. You said you are at 10g right now and have been for only 6 days. Stay there for at least 3 more weeks. It is recommended to wait 4 to 6 weeks at smaller sizes. That is the best advice anyone can give you for not messing up your ears.

Secondly, see if you can find some stainless steel plugs instead of acrylics. Others recommend glass. I personally have not used it, but many people on here recommend it and have had VERY good results. This will help with healing immensely. You DO NOT want to put acrylic in a fresh stretch. Acrylic is a porous material that is not really conducive to good healing.

It also sounds like you are wearing your tapers instead of putting plugs in right after. This is also another no no. Keeping tapers in can cause uneven stretching, and they can get bumped around causing irritation to the fistula (inside of the piercing). Check out this sticky on the forum too http://www.earstretching.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=115. This should help with any more questions you have.

If you are having trouble finding stainless steel plugs check out http://www.bodyartforms.com. I recently ordered from here and got an 8g stretching kit with steel plugs for only $5. Even with shipping it was still cheaper than going to any store in the local mall or piercing shop.

I hope that this helps. I have just started stretching over the past few months and have gotten some really good information from this site. Read as much as you can. There are some really knowledgeable people on this site who are more than willing to help so we can all have some sexy healthy stretched ears!

Good luck stretching!
18g Tragus
6g Lobes
2g Goal Size
3 tattoos
You don't work you don't eat. You don't grind you don't shine.
Slags

by katesonamission » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:27 am

Ok so for the past two days i've been reading crazy amounts on stretching, as well as watching videos. I live in a pretty small towe, and the only place i can get gauges is from hot topic, or online. Unfortunately, my hot topic only has a limited supply of stretching stuff, and thus they only sell acrylic tapers. I'm honestly really worried now about using acrylic versus steel now. My first few packs of tapers did not have plugs to go with them either, and the girl at hot topic told me i'd be fine. My eights do have plugs with them, which i was planning on changing into once i got comfortable with the taper, and leaving those in for a few weeks. So basically, i want to know how dangerous it really is to stretch with acrylic? Please, anybody, i really just need some help.
katesonamission

by Nic » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:28 am

Dude, honestly alot of posts here may sound scary but what u really need to keep in mind is that ears heal at different rates. As long u dont force ne stretches ur ears will be healthy. I personally fluctuated with my wait times between the stretches and i just stretched when my ears felt healed an the taper would go thru. Acrylic is in no way as dangerous as most claim. At small sizes u are just going to be goin up sizes every few weeks so its not that bad. Wearing tapers is fine up until 00g. After that just tape ur plugs =) hope i helped with ur question. If u have ne more questions just message me
Left Lobe = 1 3/8in.
Right Lobe = 1, 3/8 in.
16g Bridge/Earl
14g/ 16g spider bites both sides
14g Tongue
6g Septum
Upcoming:
16g Angel bites
Retired:
Industrial
Nic

by leighmarie » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:02 am

Of course it's "that bad".
From 18 to 12 is doubling the size of the stretch already, so in about a month you've more than doubled in size.

Just because there's no pain, blood, ect, doesn't mean you're ready to stretch. The whole point of waiting the six weeks (at least) you're supposed to is for the fistula to heal and strengthen itself. By just stretching every week you're not allowing the micro tears to heal again and you're increasing the chance of tears and rips unnecessarily.
Just because you had no problems doesn't mean you should still give other people bad advice Nic, they might not be as lucky.

Acrylic tapers are usually too short to stretch gradually, and I wouldn't recommend leaving any tapers in as jewellery especially Acrylic.
They can get pulled or caught easily and damage your already very fragile ears.
Like Slags said, Acrylic is also porous and can hold dead skin cells and bacteria which can get into any micro tears and cause infection.
I'd suggest you try either metal or glass.
Current:
1.6mm Tongue
1.6mm Navel
10mm Lobies (Goal: 1/2")
1.2mm Right Tragus
1.2mm Nose
1.2mm Monroe

Wishlist:
Christina piercing

leighmarie

by katesonamission » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:58 pm

Thanks for the input everyone- I'm a total noob to stretching. I realize I've been foolish stretching so fast and should have done my homework. I'm goin to definitely start leaving at least a few weeks between stretches (especially bigger stretches). I'm also going to start cleaning them more regularly since I'm using acrylic. Is neosporin a good idea or is there something better? Lately I've just been using a mild antibacterial soap and disinfecting new ones especially well.
katesonamission

by Slags » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:27 am

Yes, it is true that a lot of people on here have stretched with acrylics and left them in for extended periods of time with no difficulties. However, why take the risk of using it? I hate to be cliche but you do only have one set of ears. I posted you the link to the stretcher and steel plugs that I recently purchased and it is WAY cheaper than any of the crappy acrylics I have seen at my local mall. You could safely stretch from 10g to 00g with proper plugs for literally $35 with those stretching kits.

It is nice to see someone on here actually taking advice and doing some research. Way to go! It always seems like a slap in the face to those on here when people ask for advice and don't bother to take any of it. If we didn't care we wouldn't take the time to even answer. It sounds like you are getting on the right track though. Keep it up. Good luck!
18g Tragus
6g Lobes
2g Goal Size
3 tattoos
You don't work you don't eat. You don't grind you don't shine.
Slags

by leighmarie » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:12 pm

Slags wrote:Yes, it is true that a lot of people on here have stretched with acrylics and left them in for extended periods of time with no difficulties. However, why take the risk of using it?

+1

katesonamission wrote:I'm goin to definitely start leaving at least a few weeks between stretches (especially bigger stretches).

Honestly, it really is worth your while leaving at least 6 weeks between sizes. I know it's tempting to rush and get where you want to be, but it's something that you'll probably have for the rest of your life, you should take your time and do it properly.
Current:
1.6mm Tongue
1.6mm Navel
10mm Lobies (Goal: 1/2")
1.2mm Right Tragus
1.2mm Nose
1.2mm Monroe

Wishlist:
Christina piercing

leighmarie

by Bone_Head311 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:00 am

katesonamission wrote:I'm goin to definitely start leaving at least a few weeks between stretches (especially bigger stretches).

Honestly, it really is worth your while leaving at least 6 weeks between sizes. I know it's tempting to rush and get where you want to be, but it's something that you'll probably have for the rest of your life, you should take your time and do it properly.[/quote] +2 sometimes its super tempting to cut corners.
I don't want to cut corners and be left with jagged edges.
Currently 10G. Next stretch: 12/20/2010
Bone_Head311

by Nic » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:23 am

God damn lol i give my opinion an i get dumped all over. Trust me! i been there an dun that. I have plenty of experience to give advice with, my advice isnt *bad its just different from urs. People just acting like im tellin u to skip sizes or sum shit. U can tell when ur ears are healed, no wait time schedule chart can tell u about ur body an take into account genetics and ear care.
Left Lobe = 1 3/8in.
Right Lobe = 1, 3/8 in.
16g Bridge/Earl
14g/ 16g spider bites both sides
14g Tongue
6g Septum
Upcoming:
16g Angel bites
Retired:
Industrial
Nic

Next