Normal?

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by Gypsy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:34 pm

Ok so I've had my ears pierced for about 16 years and the majority of that time I wore very large heavy earrings. For the last year or so I have been wearing 14/12g earrings like captive rings. I decided I wanted to stretch and put some 10gs in, they went in so easy and there was no issue at all, didn't hurt AT ALL couldn't even feel it. Waited a week, the tunnels were lose in my ear and turned freely, no issue. Then I put 8gs in. Pretty much the same deal, no pain but this time it was tighter. They went "normal" very quickly. I waited two weeks then was discussing it with my friend who has her ears stretched to a 00, she said they were fine to stretch as long as they had healed completely and don't hurt, turn freely. So we started with the 6g. This time it stung a bit. I did it last night a nd my ears are tender, a bit red and warm. They don't sting but feel uncomfortable. I have read some of the threads on here and now realise I have stretched too fast so please no repeating that....I feel silly enough. :S I just want to know if a bit of stinging while stretching and uncomfortable tightness, redness, warmth is normal or acceptable. There is no "lip" on the outside of the piercing so I don't think there was a blowout, it doesn't really hurt just not comfortable. There was no blood or anything at all. What should I do? Is this normal..I am going to leave the 6gs in for 3-6 months before the next stretch.
Gypsy

by mouse2cat » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:53 pm

Leaving the 6s in longer isn't necessarily going to be enough for your ears.

The 6 was a bad stretch. You need to take your plugs out or at least downsize to let them heal. Because the inner part of your ear (fistula) is under a lot of pressure it isn't going to be able to heal properly. And just because you don't have a blowout yet doesn't mean it won't happen if you leave your 6s in.
mouse2cat

by deviantxy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:36 am

If I was you I would go down to 8g and wait at least a month if not six weeks or longer then try again. It shouldn't be that sore. A tightness is ok but not stinging and redness.
deviantxy

by akPhilly » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:25 am

I have had some tingling & redness too when stretching,I think alot of people do,but it seems to subside after a short time.I can't recall the size difference between each size,but it seems like alot of people say going from 8 to 6 can be a tougher stretch anyway.
AkPhilly,
Philadelphia,PA
3/4" (19mm) earlobes
14g industrial
12g tongue
7 tattoos
retired septum (though considering resurrecting it :),monroe,navel

WANT: both conchs,& microdermal,& more tattoos!
akPhilly

by Gypsy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:45 am

Thanks heaps guys. The stinging had gone completely but they were warm and felt so tight so I took the 6s out, massaged with jojoba oil then put my 8s back in. Feels a bit better. Do you think it will heal up alright? Will his make my next stretch to 6 harder?
Gypsy

by mouse2cat » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:40 pm

Gypsy wrote:Thanks heaps guys. The stinging had gone completely but they were warm and felt so tight so I took the 6s out, massaged with jojoba oil then put my 8s back in. Feels a bit better. Do you think it will heal up alright? Will his make my next stretch to 6 harder?

I'd spend a good amount of time at 8g before attempting to stretch back up again. 3-5 months is probably a good place to start. Also you should probably avoid massaging until your ears have calmed down. The massaging will help break down scar tissue, help with circulation.

Next time you attempt to stretch pay more attention to your body. If there is a lot of resistance or pain STOP.
mouse2cat

by ViolentJayne » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:42 pm

your ears were probably an 8 ga when you started so you probably only rushed the 6 ga stretch . Id go back to 8 ga and stay for about 3-4 months then try again . I stretched the same way . wore heavy earrings for years then wore 2 sets of 14 ga cbrs in each hole ( I just liked the look ) then researched a lil when I decided to stretch and found that that two 14 ga = aprox 8 ga so I thought oh great Ill start at 6 .. tried and it wasnt happening lol so I got some 8 ga and wore them for a few months till the 6 ga went in totally painless ... and I stayed at 6 g for 4 months before a tried My 4 ga and they went in like a hot knife threw butter :)

i am guessing the damage you may have done is very minimal but I would downsize to 8 just to be safe and like people have said pressure can lead to a blow out days or even weeks after a stretch

good luck on future stretches hopefully we will see a positive update from you in 3 months or so :)
4ga lobes ,14ga 2nd hole lobes. 14ga tounge
full sleeve and 7 other Tattoos

SHE'S ALWAYS NICE
AND GIVES ADVICE
WHEN WE DONT HAVE A CLUE
SHE NEEDS NO HELP
FROM YOU
ViolentJayne

Return to Aftercare, Healing and Safety