How safe are silicone plugs?

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by metrorexplug » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:47 pm

Is it okay to use silicone plugs for ear stretching?
I've read that silicone plugs are bad for ear stretching, but i also know people who have had success with them. I'd just like to know for real.
metrorexplug

by skylorlambert » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:52 am

Well personally, I think it depends on the type of silicone that they use in the plugs. I stretched once with silicone plugs, but they where made out of a hard silicone, you can't get the flimsy type of silicone. It can be really risky with stretching with them, I would prefer just to stretch with a taper, or a regular gauge! If you need anymore help, just feel free to ask! :)
Currently Stretched At: 1-1/8in
Others: Snakebites, and both conchs.
Websites: Blog, Photography, Twitter, Facebook.
skylorlambert

by heyMan » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:22 pm

Silicone plugs are fine to wear but they are always advised to not use them for stretching.
heyMan

by corazon_de_oro » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:10 am

It's usually not a good idea because they expand in your ear and can cause you to stretch when you're not ready... if you're using a taper you can stop if it hurts or is difficult, but silicone doesn't give you that option. It's also not recommended to wear in fresh stretches because some people have problems with it irritating their lobes. For new stretches stick to single-flared steel, glass, or titanium jewelry.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by rabidcupcake » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:41 am

I do not understand why anyone would use silicone plugs or tapers past a size 0. I swear by taping, it is the most effective, gentle method. Silicone is NOT recommended for stretches, so they are not safe to size up with.
rabidcupcake

by ericawinship » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:21 pm

I made a youtube video on this explaining why it is bad and I wouldn't recommend it

go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE-jU0HfAsM
official ear stretching facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=inf ... 8509894164

official ear stretching vlog: http://www.youtube.com/user/iGiveSkeetSkeet
ericawinship

by Mybodyismycanvas » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:46 am

Quick taping method how-to:
buy a roll of bondage tape, and an oil of your choice (emu, jojoba, or vitamin E), wrap cut a strip of bondage tape down to fit your plug and wrap one layer around the plug every 1-2 weeks, and when you are at the next size, simply put in the new plugs, let them rest for a while (until completely healed), then continue to tape until you reach desired size. Remember to keep up with your general lobe care (sea salt soaks and oil massages), as well as replacing all of the tape at least once a month. Before inserting a freshly taped plug, remember to put your desired oil on both your lobe and your plug. This is the safest and easiest way to stretch like the person before me said, as well as money saving, one roll of bondage tape is ten dollars, and will last you many sizes as opposed to having your ears tapered or buying tapers that you will never use again.
Secondly, why silicone is bad for your ears:
1. STAY AWAY FROM BOTH SILICONE AND ACRYLIC
2. silicone should not be used to stretch with because it does not provide an even stretch and it can also push out all of the oil from between your lobe and the silicone causing your ear to grow into the porous silicon, same with acrylic, not to mention it can cause lobe splitting, tearing, blowouts, ripping, anything you can think of when trying to use to size up.
3. Why it's bad for long wear: Silicone can swell and is not always accurate to size, which can cause very small tears in your lobes that you can't see, which can cause infection and bleeding, and as opposed to organic or steel plugs, instead of absorbing or just pushing out the natural sweat, and ear gunk your ear produces, it pushes it (as well as bacteria) back into your lobe, again, causing infection.
4. The only time it is ok to wear silicone anything is if your ears are 100 healed and they are implant grade silicone (Like Kaos which can easily be found online or in hot topic even though hot topic is terrible for body jewelry), they should not be worn for more than a few hours, and they should be cleaned frequently. Over all, silicone is just risky, and its best just not to ruin you're beautiful lobes with this material.
Mybodyismycanvas

by Mybodyismycanvas » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:46 am

Quick taping method how-to:
buy a roll of bondage tape, and an oil of your choice (emu, jojoba, or vitamin E), wrap cut a strip of bondage tape down to fit your plug and wrap one layer around the plug every 1-2 weeks, and when you are at the next size, simply put in the new plugs, let them rest for a while (until completely healed), then continue to tape until you reach desired size. Remember to keep up with your general lobe care (sea salt soaks and oil massages), as well as replacing all of the tape at least once a month. Before inserting a freshly taped plug, remember to put your desired oil on both your lobe and your plug. This is the safest and easiest way to stretch like the person before me said, as well as money saving, one roll of bondage tape is ten dollars, and will last you many sizes as opposed to having your ears tapered or buying tapers that you will never use again.
Secondly, why silicone is bad for your ears:
1. STAY AWAY FROM BOTH SILICONE AND ACRYLIC
2. silicone should not be used to stretch with because it does not provide an even stretch and it can also push out all of the oil from between your lobe and the silicone causing your ear to grow into the porous silicon, same with acrylic, not to mention it can cause lobe splitting, tearing, blowouts, ripping, anything you can think of when trying to use to size up.
3. Why it's bad for long wear: Silicone can swell and is not always accurate to size, which can cause very small tears in your lobes that you can't see, which can cause infection and bleeding, and as opposed to organic or steel plugs, instead of absorbing or just pushing out the natural sweat, and ear gunk your ear produces, it pushes it (as well as bacteria) back into your lobe, again, causing infection.
4. The only time it is ok to wear silicone anything is if your ears are 100 healed and they are implant grade silicone (Like Kaos which can easily be found online or in hot topic even though hot topic is terrible for body jewelry), they should not be worn for more than a few hours, and they should be cleaned frequently. Over all, silicone is just risky, and its best just not to ruin you're beautiful lobes with this material.
Mybodyismycanvas

Return to Aftercare, Healing and Safety