Patience and why it's so important...

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by corazon_de_oro » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:12 am

Every time I say people should wait 6-8+ weeks between sizes, I hear "you're not being realistic!" or something like that, so I would like to explain WHY I say that. First of all, since stretching is a permanant modification, I don't see how 6-8 weeks is that long at all. But besides that, here's why your ears need a break between sizes:
Think about what happens when you stretch your ears. You create micro-tears in the skin so the hole can expand to accomodate larger jewelry. The beauty of stretching earlobes is that they're naturally pretty stretchy, and unlike most other piercings they can be stretched without pain. However, to be stretched safely, the piercing must be strong. While proper stretching will not create any wounds, it does weaken tissue and a fresh stretch will be under more pressure than it was before. The tiny tears need time to heal back together AND build strength back up. With stretching it's not just about healing, it's about the ear being strong enough to stretch. So while your lobe may not be sore or getting crusty, it still needs time to recover. That just doesn't happen in two weeks for most people.
So don't think of stretching as expanding the hole, waiting for it to stop hurting, expanding it again, etc... think about it as expanding the hole, and then waiting for it to be strong and ready to stretch before you expand it again. Pain or resistance is an indication that your ear is not ready to stretch and going ahead with it could result in a tear, blowout, or a buildup of scar tissue.

I encourage you all to visit the forums on bodyjewelleryshop.com and read the threads about stretching. There are people on there who really know their stuff and they can explain it a lot better than I can. Also, check out these links:

Story about stretching gone bad from BME:
http://news.bmezine.com/2007/05/04/ear- ... -disaster/

What causes a tear:
http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Earlobe_Tearing

Blowouts:
http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Piercing_Blow-out
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by leighmarie » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:08 am

corazon_de_oro wrote:since stretching is a permanent modification, I don't see how 6-8 weeks is that long at all.

+1

BJS has been pretty much a life saver through all my piercings, the people there give amazing advice. I'd definitely recommend people get on there.
Current:
1.6mm Tongue
1.6mm Navel
10mm Lobies (Goal: 1/2")
1.2mm Right Tragus
1.2mm Nose
1.2mm Monroe

Wishlist:
Christina piercing

leighmarie

by Boffey » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:46 pm

That top story is disgusting :o

I think ive realised that im lucky not to have got any majorish problems with my ear, like blowouts and tears and w/e because i stretched really fast to begin with. The only problem i ever got was that my ear got infected and it swole up and went really red, i downsized straight away, and it cleared a day later...
Piercings
Left Lobe 12mm
Left Rook
Right Helix

Wishlist
Right Lobe 12mm
Seccond Right Helix
Left side lower lip

o, and im Alex by the way :)
Boffey

by leighmarie » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:54 am

At least you had the sense to downsize. A lot of people don't as they want to stay at the larger gauge, which is silly. People are way too impatient.
Current:
1.6mm Tongue
1.6mm Navel
1.2mm Right Tragus
1.2mm Nose
1.2mm Monroe

Wishlist:
Christina piercing

leighmarie

by brutalSKITTLES » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:37 pm

I have a question about the 6-8 week thing. I was planning on waiting that long to go to 00 but i waited like 3weeks and my single flare plugs started falling out on the o-ring side and the flare side, so i just bought some 00g plugs and poped them in no problem. Should have i still waited an extra 3weeks? Jw..
brutalSKITTLES

by leighmarie » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:46 am

I don't think so. My past two sizes have stretched themselves, so I've just slipped the next tunnels straight in.

My 8mm were single flare, and they started sliding out backwards (my lobe being loose enough to get the flare though) so I considered it safer to pop in my 9mm.

Your body tells you when you're ready :)
Current:
1.6mm Tongue
1.6mm Navel
1.2mm Right Tragus
1.2mm Nose
1.2mm Monroe

Wishlist:
Christina piercing

leighmarie

by brutalSKITTLES » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:41 pm

leighmarie wrote:
Your body tells you when you're ready :)

I agree 100% :]
Best rule to follow.
brutalSKITTLES

by leighmarie » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:18 pm

Definitely :) Unfortunately a lot of people ignore the fact that pain = not ready :roll:
Current:
1.6mm Tongue
1.6mm Navel
1.2mm Right Tragus
1.2mm Nose
1.2mm Monroe

Wishlist:
Christina piercing

leighmarie

by brutalSKITTLES » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:21 pm

I know, i used to be that way, but sense i stopped using tapers iv been pain free, i seriously think tapers hurt more then they help. >.< I think just waiting tell your ears naturally stretch &tell you can fit the plug in is the best method:] Plus it saves money.
brutalSKITTLES

by leighmarie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:48 pm

I've never had any pain from tapers, but the fact my ears have stretched themselves the past couple of sizes have really helped me out! I hope it continues :)
Current:
1.6mm Tongue
1.6mm Navel
1.2mm Right Tragus
1.2mm Nose
1.2mm Monroe

Wishlist:
Christina piercing

leighmarie

Return to Aftercare, Healing and Safety