naturals cant be all bad, whats the big deal?

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by AceWitThaLobes » Wed May 30, 2012 4:09 pm

ive been stretching for 6 years and ive discovered that my ears react poorly to metals. I get ALOT more cheese, worse smell (despite daily showering of the jewelry and lobes)and my ears get a lil red and tender. the acrylic was even worse, (red lobes, itchy, slightly swollen) B/c of this i decided to take a more natural approach. but all i ever hear about naturals is how bad they are for your ears. But i figure they cant be ALL bad cuz when ear stretching was strictly a curtural thing, they ONLY HAD natural material to work with. There simply was no surgical steel... so i did my research on rocks and minerals and found that quartz and a few other minerals are non porous. so i use only quartz plugs after i stretch (they are a bit heavy cuz they are large) and other naturals after they are healed. I find that silicone isnt SO bad but u must keep an eye on it and take them out every day (i do mine 3 times a day) b/c they do tend to get absorbed. but thats the only down side. i mostly wear stone (for aesthetic value) but im thinking about some wood b/c its getting heavy. is there any woods that are particularly easy to care for? are there any more man-made materials i could try for stretching that wont cause a problem?
1" lobes
tongue pierced, and dermal implant under left eye
retired belly button, septum, nostril, madison, nipples, 4 cartilage, labret, dimples
AceWitThaLobes

by corazon_de_oro » Wed May 30, 2012 6:10 pm

You're right, many cultures have been stretching piercings since the beginning of time, but it doesn't mean they do it in the safest/cleanest ways. They use what they have available, but now we have access to better materials. If you don't like metals I'd suggest glass. I've always stretched with glass and it's by far my favorite material. It can cause a lot of ear cheese but it's no big deal if you clean your plugs daily.
Also, have you tried titanium? It doesn't have nickel like steel and is much easier on your ears if you have sensitive skin.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by KAISERROLLS » Wed May 30, 2012 11:17 pm

I agree with Lindsay, Glass is also my favorite material and right now I have in Titanium tunnels, they are by far the least irritating metal you can wear.
Piercings
1g Left 0g Right Lobes
Right Industrial (retired)
Right Tragus (retired)
Tattoos
4 Hours on sleeve
KAISERROLLS

by AceWitThaLobes » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:24 pm

thanks! imma try the glass tunnels out. ive seen some REALLY nice looking ones. i have not tried titanium but i suppose its also worth a go. :D
1" lobes
tongue pierced, and dermal implant under left eye
retired belly button, septum, nostril, madison, nipples, 4 cartilage, labret, dimples
AceWitThaLobes

Return to Aftercare, Healing and Safety