Healing...

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by siralphanumeric » Mon May 28, 2012 9:20 am

Alllrrriiiggghhhht.

So, when I stretched my ears from a 12 to a 10, they were fine. I then stretched to an 8... By wrapping my tapers in adhesive tape. I think I stretched them a little more than an 8, and they were all pussy and gross. I put in some stone flared plugs (the flare made them about a 6), and they were fine. Then I stretched to a 4, and that was okay. And the other day, I got acrylic 0 spirals. I was being dumb, and tried putting them in straight, didn't really work, just was uncomfortable. I finally got them kind of on, and they were about a 2. So this week I've been gradually getting them to a 0, and I finally did! But yeah, stretching from 5mm to 8mm, prolly not a good idea. They're still kinda swollen and sore, but they're better! They should be healed soon! Anyway, so yeah, here's my question: since I've messed up my ears a couple times now, are they damaged forever now? or no? I mean, when I was at an 8, they were pretty much fine... but yeah, any advice, feedback, anything? Thank you!
siralphanumeric

by KAISERROLLS » Mon May 28, 2012 4:25 pm

Ill bet they look fine right now...
But in a year or so or even a couple of months you're going to start seeing signs of cat butt or wrinkly lobes when you take your jewelry out. I asked a question similar to this a while ago when i started. You dont see the signs of stretching too fast or too soon immediately. it takes time!

If i were you i would downsize back to a 6g. just hearing those stretches is rough, seeing as I only go 1mm at a time and still have a lot of resistance sometimes.

In the long run like i said before probably some scar tissue build up, creating the cat butt effect. Listen to me or not I'm insisting that you downsize at least to a 4 but a 6 or an 8 would really probably help you more.
Piercings
1g Left 0g Right Lobes
Right Industrial (retired)
Right Tragus (retired)
Tattoos
4 Hours on sleeve
KAISERROLLS

by mouse2cat » Tue May 29, 2012 1:16 pm

I am a bit concerned. You do not mention how long you were waiting between stretches and the way you describe it sounds like you were going very fast. I would have to second Kaiser on downsizing.

Think of it this way. If you stretch too fast your skin is like a rubber band. It will get thinner and thinner and more and more fragile. At your size you will mostly experience this thinness on the fistula itself. Making it more susceptible to tears, giving you scar tissue and possible future complications. When your fistula is under a lot of pressure it isn't getting good circulation and may not heal evenly.

If you are actually concerned about taking care of your ears. Snap some photos. Or better yet. Take them out and let them heal, then re-asses and stretch up again from a smaller size. If you have to say "I was being dumb... but" then it's stupid and you know better.

But if you don't take my advise it won't hurt my feelings. They are your ears.
mouse2cat

by corazon_de_oro » Tue May 29, 2012 5:50 pm

To be honest, I would start over if I were you.
Not only did you go way too fast and skip way too many sizes, but you used probably the worst things possible... Not trying to insult you or anything, just warning you.
The taper was the first red flag... they're not meant to be worn as jewelry, they're just tools for right when you do the stretch. Tape with an adhesive should never be anywhere near your ears. The only types of tape you should ever use for stretching are plumber's tape (usually sold as "threading tape") or bondage tape. Stone plugs should never be in fresh stretches, as they are very porous and can trap bacteria. Plus they just don't really get along too well with your skin and they're best for healed stretches. Double-flares should never be in fresh stretches either. Honestly, I'm really surprised yours didn't get stuck at such a small size! Obviously skipping to 0G was a bad idea, but spirals should never be used to stretch with either. Or acrylic. Also, stretching tools should never be pushed in gradually; if you can't fit them in all at once your ears aren't ready to go to that size and you need to wait longer.

What you need to do is downsize and go up slowly, one size at a time. Use better jewelry to stretch with. For each size you'll only need one taper and one pair of single-flare or no-flare plugs in glass, titanium, or steel if you're not allergic. If you have plugs with rounded ends you might not even need the taper if your ears are ready to stretch. Never put acrylic, silicone, stone, wood, etc. in fresh stretches, never wear tapers, spirals, or double-flares in fresh stretches, and never skip sizes. Leave about 6-8 weeks between every size, or however long it takes for your ears to accept the next size without pain or resistance.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by siralphanumeric » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:58 am

I waited at least 4 weeks between stretches, or until they were fully healed. I feel like starting over would be a bit ridiculous, and I currently don't have any signs of cat butt. I suppose I shouldn't have been so reckless, though!
siralphanumeric

by AceWitThaLobes » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:41 pm

if i was u i would stop there for a while and give them extra time to heal. I dont like the idea of back tracking either and i never have. There ARE consequences to NOT doing it properly, im a perfect example. It can be done but might not be the most beautiful lobe u ever seen. but if u plan to wear jewelry 24/7 it probably wont matte at all.
but if i knew then what i know now, id give it a rest for a few months and moisturize with something tht helps scarring. over time the thin layers of scar tissue really will give u cat butt. but if u dont mind, i dont mind lol. also i keep hearing it makes u more susceptible to tearing in the future. My tears were from sizing up too fast so i cant confirm or deny that..
but "moisture therapy" as i like to call it, has done WONDERS for my lobes, i dont have cat butt (cuz i caught it early) and my blowouts are minimally visible without jewelry, and not there with it. massage and moisture and time will more than likely solve ur issues
1" lobes
tongue pierced, and dermal implant under left eye
retired belly button, septum, nostril, madison, nipples, 4 cartilage, labret, dimples
AceWitThaLobes

Return to Aftercare, Healing and Safety