Why is my ear infected? How can I help it?

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by mischiefmanaged » Wed May 16, 2012 9:46 pm

I stretched from 4g to 2g about a month ago and it went well. I waited about 7 weeks (most places said to wait 6 weeks before stretching to a 2). I used the taping method for about 2 weeks - until I felt that the taper would go in easier because I knew this would be a hard stretch. I went in without problems, I followed through with my stainless steel plugs, and I did the proper aftercare (SSS, Vit e oil, daily cleanings) and everything seemed fine.

But today suddenly my left ear was swollen 3x its size and really sore. There was pus and a small amount of blood. Immediately I soaked it in sea salt and downsized back to a 4g. I sleep on my left side if that has affected it?

Does anybody have any ideas how this happened and how to prevent it? And anything else I can do to help heal it?? :?
mischiefmanaged

by corazon_de_oro » Thu May 17, 2012 1:31 am

It's probably not an infection, so don't worry too much. I had something similar happen to me when I stretched to 0G.. I changed my plugs before they were ready and a pair of stainless steel tunnels cut my ear on the way in or something, so it got very swollen. For me, the swelling didn't even start to go down until I downsized. I went down two sizes and I could feel the relief immediately. I also took ibuprofen and iced my ear for a couple days.

I can't say with 100% confidence that you don't have an infection, but it's very unlikely. Infections are very rare even in brand new piercings. If the swelling doesn't go down with downsizing, maybe see a doctor for some antibiotics. Just make sure you don't take them out, even if the doctor tells you to. That can trap the infection and form an abscess.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by mischiefmanaged » Fri May 18, 2012 3:06 am

Thanks! The swelling has gone down a little after downsizing but it isn't sore anymore. I guess I was just shocked that this happened a month after stretching, without anything seeming to cause it.

Downsizing is such a pain! :roll:
mischiefmanaged

Return to Aftercare, Healing and Safety