Bleeding HELP!!

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by JK22 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:32 pm

My boyfriend got his lobes pierced over a year ago, allowed his lobes to heal and began stretching. In the beginning the stretching went smoothly, never had any problems. I think he would go up a size every month. Then his ears just randomly started bleeding and oozing. Went to the doctors and they said it was an infection so they gave him medicine and it got a lot better. He has been too scared to stretch since then because his ears will randomly bleed. One week they will be fine then next week there is blood. He soaks his ears in a sea salt solution every day. We have searched the internet and can't find any reason why his lobes are bleeding MONTHS after gauging. Can anyone please give us advice!
JK22

by corazon_de_oro » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:12 pm

How long did he wait after being pierced to begin stretching? It's not enough just to wait 'til they're healed. The healing time is how long it takes to be able to change jewelry at the same size. For your ears to be ready to stretch you typically need to wait about six months.

Also, a month between sizes really isn't long enough for most people... 6-8 weeks is a better amount of time, or even more if you have any pain or resistance when stretching.

What materials was he wearing? Was he using tapers as jewelry, or anything acrylic in fresh stretches? How about silicone? All of those things can cause major problems, or even if he was using steel it could be a nickel allergy.

He shouldn't worry about stretching again as long as he's careful... people don't just bleed at random from stretching, there has to be something causing it.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by JK22 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:57 am

He said he only waited 8 weeks to begin stretching. And he only uses stainless steel plugs in his ears. So does this mean his ears never healed? What do you suggest he does? And thank you for your help :)
JK22

Return to Aftercare, Healing and Safety