Healing timeframe/expectations for 4g piercing

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by fmiller0801 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:39 am

Hello all.

3 weeks ago I got my ears pierced at 4g. Healing has gone well for the right ear, but the left ear is a little troublesome. First off, I don't believe it is infected. There's no discharge or anything like that and no pain. However, it seems that every time I clean it it swells up for a bit afterwards and turns a little red. It doesn't really get hot though and again it's not painful. When I wake up in the morning the ear feels fine, if only just slightly more swollen than the right one. It seems to get irritated after I clean it and/or touch it. I'm not really sure what to do, is this normal? I've been soaking in sea salt once a day and then washing with Dr. Bronner's soap twice a day. How long can I expect this to last (if it is normal) and what can I do to get the swelling to stop occurring?

Thanks
fmiller0801

by corazon_de_oro » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:38 pm

3 weeks isn't very long, what you're describing seems totally normal. However, it sounds like you might be cleaning them just a little too much which might be irritating the piercings. Instead of using the soap I'd just sick with sea salt soaks, and make sure you're not getting them too salty (no more than 1/4 teaspoon sea salt per one cup water). Also, make sure you're never twisting or moving the jewelry at any time, even when cleaning. Some piercers recommend that but it's a myth. Piercings do best when you just leave them alone.

What type of jewelry do you have in there? If they're rings you should definitely switch them to single-flare/no-flare plugs.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by fmiller0801 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:56 pm

I have single flare plugs in right now. Thanks for the advice. I'd been thinking maybe I've been cleaning too much but wanted to make sure I was following directions. And yeah, they told me to rotate them so I'll try not moving them. And I'll make sure to keep an eye on the amount of salt I put in the water. Thanks again!
fmiller0801

by fmiller0801 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:19 am

So, it's been nearly 4 months since I had my ears pierced and the left one is still getting aggravated on a daily basis it seems. It can get slightly puffy and red, but not hot or oozing. I do not suspect that it is infected, but the daily annoyance is getting tiresome.

Is there anything else I can be doing to get this to ease up? My right ear has been fine for a while now. I just want to get the left one to catch up. :/
fmiller0801

by Jingle Bells » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:23 am

Hi,

I'm no expert so this is just my opinion......try swapping your plugs to Glass and see if that helps. Maybe your lobe is not happy with the material you have in it. I can only wear glass due to over sensitivity of othe materials. Are your O rings on quite close to your skin? Try going without them. I never wear them as they hurt my lobes.

Try not to touch your lobes as your fingers will transfer germs etc. Some peoples healing times are longer than others. Do your sss and don't over clean your lobe.

Hope this helps :D
Jingle Bells

Return to Aftercare, Healing and Safety