Whitish yellow 'pus' in ears - Dont think its infected

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by allendante96 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:01 am

Ok, lately I've been having small amount of this whitish yellow pus like substance coming out of my right lobe (Pierced at 8g about 2 1/2 weeks ago, curently have surgical steel in.) The thing is I dont think it's infected, there's just a very slight discomfort (And that's probably from me feeling the area and cracking some of the dried crud in my ears, lol.) Almost no redness, and no swelling.
Here's my cleaning regiment:
H2Ocean sprayed front and back usually twice a day
Unscented and Un-moisturized antibacterial soap wash about every 1-2 days.
I've probably only done 2-3 sea salt soaks in the 2 1/2 weeks I've been pierced.

Thanks, does anyone know what might be up with my ear?
allendante96

by corazon_de_oro » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:00 pm

It's just lymph, which comes out of all piercings. I had my ears pierced at 10G and more lymph came out of them than any piercing I've ever had!

With those you'll want to do a lot of sea salt soaks. Those draw the lymph out of the piercing while promoting healing. Antibacterial soap can kill healthy cells and dry your piercings out, actually delaying the healing process. H2Ocean is okay and definitely won't hurt anything, but it doesn't have the same benefits as plain sea salt soaks. Just make sure you're not getting your water too salty (no more than 1/4 teaspoon per one cup water).
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by ast.riske » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:03 pm

You describe it as "pus-like." Is it opaque? If what you are seeing is opaque you may, indeed, have an infection, though it may be a low-grade one. Still, be mindful.

I would recommend you do sea salt soaks as Lindsay suggested. Get the water as warm as you can stand without being painful. It will help to encourage blood flow (helping in healing) and draw out any kind of nastiness that might be lurking.

After you are done with your soaks, be sure to rinse your ears with just clean water, but don't soak. Just rinse to take off any remaining salt. Any salt left on your skin could lead to irritation.

Best of luck!
Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster; and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you.
-Fredrick Nietzsche

Pericings:
2g Lobes
6g Septum

Want:
Frenulum Linguae
Left inner conch
Right helix
ast.riske

by allendante96 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:13 pm

Yes, it is mostly opaque while some of it is just clear fluid. Thanks guys, I'm just going to do sea salt soaks since there's no swelling or pain, I personally dont think it's an infection.
allendante96

Return to Aftercare, Healing and Safety