Really itchy and dry ears

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by raptorjesus » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:07 am

I already posted this a while ago but didn't get an answer.
So basically whenever I moved from 5 to 6mm, a few days after my ear started to become really itchy, I scratched it, it became red and started leaking yellow fluid and became crusty. It remained like this for ages and nothing I done helped (SSS or jojoba oil). I downgraded and SSS at least once a day for 2 or more weeks but it didn't have a huge effect so I decided to fuck it and go back up to 6 but now it's super itchy again (when I was on 5 it wasn't this bad).

I have no idea what to do now as I've exhausted my every option. I don't even touch that ear anymore and do SSS about 3 times a day to relieve the itchiness.

I'm thinking of taking out the plug altogether because this really isn't worth the effort. Especially if nothing helps whatsoever.

Forgot to mention that when this began (about 2 months ago), I initially thought it was something to do with o-rings so I started to not wear them but it didn't have much of an effect.
raptorjesus

by FredZ89 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:37 pm

What are your plugs made off ? The itching could be an allergic reaction to the material of the plug (Acrylic for example)
I have 7/16" lobes (Reached my goal size)

Also have front arm tattoo.
FredZ89

by raptorjesus » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:48 pm

Well that's the weird thing. They're surgical steel.

First thing I assumed when this began was that its something to do with the taper I had used (Acrylic) because my plug was surgical steel and I had no worries about that. I went out and got a surgical steel concave taper (which is fucking fantastic actually. Never going back to normal tapers) which didn't change anything. I actually also got another plug from surgical steel just to make sure that this one isn't the problem and it wasn't. The new plug changed nothing.

I should also mention that I'm super safe with cleaning so that can't be the problem. I was my hands with satin soap throughout cleaning my ears and boil the taper/plug every time I use them.

Right now I can only see 2 options - try silicon plugs (which shouldn't make it better because its silicon but I can't think of anything else I could do) or go down to 4mm (since 5mm didn't heal this cluster fuck).
raptorjesus

by TheGreyEyedMonster » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:06 pm

try using lotion. thats what i did to help my dry ears. get some unscented lotion if possible
"We think caged birds sing, when indeed they cry out."

Have
10mm Lobes (to be 16mm)
(R)Helix
Want
(L)ear- Double Helix, Tragus, Rook, 2nd&3rd Lobes
(R)ear- 6g Helix Punch, Industrial, 2nd&3rd Lobes
Nape
Tongue Web
(R)Nostril
TheGreyEyedMonster

by ViolentJayne » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:35 pm

i agree lotion or oils might help . also please quit going back and forth on sizes this could be causeing trauma on an irritated lobe .. also perhaps you are over SSSing it make sure you mix is 1.4 tsp per cup of water or less .. no more .. and Id cut back to 1 per day or 1 every other day ..its kind of like using peroxide ( wich would be horrible on a lobe ) but in general peroxide kills all the good bacteria as well as the bad but you need the good bacteria to help you heal , if the salt is to strong it can over dry your ears and kill of the good bacteria you need .. good luck I hope you find out the problem soon
4ga lobes ,14ga 2nd hole lobes. 14ga tounge
full sleeve and 7 other Tattoos

SHE'S ALWAYS NICE
AND GIVES ADVICE
WHEN WE DONT HAVE A CLUE
SHE NEEDS NO HELP
FROM YOU
ViolentJayne

by ViolentJayne » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:36 pm

1/4 not 1.4 sorry lol typos

SHE'S ALWAYS NICE
AND GIVES ADVICE
WHEN WE DONT HAVE A CLUE
SHE NEEDS NO HELP
FROM YOU
ViolentJayne

by raptorjesus » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:14 pm

SSS mixture is 1/4 tsp per cup.
I've tried Jojoba Oil and Holey Butt'r.
I only switched sizes twice. I was on 6 for about 2 months, went down to 5 for a month, didn't work so I'm back up on 6 for the last week.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.
raptorjesus

by ast.riske » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:23 pm

Honestly, you may be especially sensitive to nickel. Even surgical steel contains nickel. Try getting titanium or glass jewelry and see if that helps. It really sounds like an allergy.
Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster; and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you.
-Fredrick Nietzsche

Pericings:
2g Lobes
6g Septum

Want:
Frenulum Linguae
Left inner conch
Right helix
ast.riske

by raptorjesus » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:42 pm

I wanted to get Titanium when I was in store buying the metal replacement plug but they didn't have any. And due to it being Christmas now, ordering online is waste of time. But if my ear doesn't get too bad and I can hold out then I'll try the titanium.

But it still baffles me, how come my ear has never reacted to surgical steel before (all my plugs/tunnels were surgical steel) and suddenly this.

Anyway, thanks for input.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that oddly enough the itchy/rashy sensation doesn't occur that close to the stretch. The actual hole or close proximity (1mm - 2mm) never itches or is affected however anywhere after that is where its worse. And also it doesn't go below my lobe.

I also read more about sensitivity and I really think that Titanium is my best shot so big, big thanks for that.
raptorjesus

by ViolentJayne » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:01 pm

perhaps its a bacterial or fungal infection of your skin .. not nessacarily from the stretch at all .. people get nail fungus alot and dogs easily get bacterial and fungal skin infections .. maybe a corse of antibiotics would help or antibiotic cream ?.. could it possibly be egezema ?

SHE'S ALWAYS NICE
AND GIVES ADVICE
WHEN WE DONT HAVE A CLUE
SHE NEEDS NO HELP
FROM YOU
ViolentJayne

Next

Return to Aftercare, Healing and Safety