8g to 6g stretch bleeding again ... advice?

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by zoolfoos » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:45 pm

I've been stretching my ears for several months now. I've been extra careful, and haven't had any problems until stretching from 8g to 6g. I've gone one size at a time (with tapers) with about a month between stretches. Last time I tried to stretch, I felt the lobe tear a bit and it started bleeding quite a bit. I downsized immediately, proceeded to do saltwater soaks, wash daily with soap and water, and after they began healing and the swelling went down, I started doing daily vitamin E oil massages. It has been about 6 weeks since that stretch. I went for a run this morning and took my plugs out before I left. A couple hours after I got home I decided to try to stretch again. My ears have been feeling fine for a while, and my lobes are quite elastic and able to be stretched by hand without any pain or resistance.

When I tried to stretch, I put the taper through, and everything seemed fine, just like the other stretches. Some mild pressure, but no pain. I didn't get the new plug in just right though, and had to put the taper through a second time. When I touched my earlobe I realized that I was bleeding quite a bit, and shortly after, my lobe became swollen and sensitive. I've downsized and am ready to wait 2-3 months again for it to heal. What am I doing wrong?? This is getting very frustrating. Any advice at all would be appreciated.
zoolfoos

by corazon_de_oro » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:09 pm

A month between stretches isn't quite long enough; 6-8 weeks is a good minimum, or just until you can stretch painlessly. Also, 8G-6G is a pretty difficult stretch so it usually needs extra time.

I'm not really sure what you mean; you took your plugs out to go running and when you got back you tried to stretch from your previous size? It could be that your lobes are tightening up a little from not having jewelry in them so they're unable to loosen up for the next stretch.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by zoolfoos » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:31 pm

Thanks for the tip! And, that is exactly what I meant - I didn't put them back in before I tried the stretch, so maybe they tightened up a bit after not having any jewelry in them for a few hours. More importantly though, I will try to give them more time in the future, like you said. I guess I was going too fast.
zoolfoos

by Jingle Bells » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:13 am

Hi
Sorry to hear your having trouble with stretching from an 8-6g.

I had read that it was a not so pleasent stretch due to the jump in size! Like you I did all the sizes stretching up not missing any at all, and I must say I ended up having to wait nearly 4months before I felt I could do it..... I was getting a little impatient waiting by the end, but glad I held out :D

Give your lobes a good while to settle and treat them well.....it will happen.

Happy safe stretching.

Jingle Bells
Jingle Bells

Return to Aftercare, Healing and Safety