omg infection ewwwwww...

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by Noelle94 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:22 am

Ok so its not my gauges, but my cartilage.

There's a bump on the back of it and it looks like a big puss bubble and it hurts like all hell. I snagged on my shirt as I was getting dressed and then I think I might've touched it with dirty hands or something. I've had it since.... October I think? Haven't had any problems with it before so... I dunno what to do.

All I know is I'm not supposed to take the jewelry out cause the hole might close up and trap in the infection. I've also been soaking it in warm water and salt soaks.

Any advice?
Noelle94

by ericawinship » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:26 am

if it still hurts, see a piercer. if not, it's a keloid and there is no threat about a keloid.
official ear stretching facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=inf ... 8509894164

official ear stretching vlog: http://www.youtube.com/user/iGiveSkeetSkeet
ericawinship

by meegs654 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:10 pm

It may be a cyst, if you have had it for that long I would consider seeing a doctor or piercer.
meegs654

by Noelle94 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:40 pm

oh no i meant I've had the cartilage piercing since October. The bump appeared a couple of days ago ^_^ sorry for the confusion
Noelle94

by meegs654 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:58 pm

Chances are that it is a cyst. Try not to poke at it or anything and it should go away. If possible could you post a pic?
meegs654

by ericawinship » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:46 am

I found this on about.com and it sounds like your case

Non-Keloid Growths

The short answer: If it hurts, seeps, oozes pus and/or bleeds, it's not a keloid; it's probably either an infection or a sebaceous cyst (which can become infected).
More information: Infection growths near a piercing occur much more often than keloids and they can happen to a new piercing or even one that is well-established. Irritants like oil, sweat, dirt, perfume, hairspray and lots of other things can aggravate a piercing and cause an infection. It will create a growth filled with blood, pus, and or sebum. It's quite painful to touch and generally doesn't respond very well to normal cleansing. The good news is that it's easy to treat as long as it hasn't become chronic.

Treating an Infection

The short answer: Cleanse 2-3 times a day and apply 1-2 sea salt soaks per day as instructed here. If it doesn't clear up in a few days, see your doctor.
More information: Cleansing with a really mild antimicrobial soap like Provon or Satin Therapeutic Cleanser will increase your chances of healing the infection without causing further irritation. Sea salt soaks are also important because it actually draws out the pus and blood inhabiting the growth, which will release the pressure and aid healing. Sea salt soaks do not hurt - in fact, they are usually quite soothing.

Sebaceous Cysts

The short answer: See your doctor for diagnosis and treatment.
More information: Sebaceous cysts, while not malignant, will usually be little more than an annoyance and will sometimes go away on their own. They are normally painless unless they rupture or become infected. They are easy for your doctor to diagnose, but usually have to be removed surgically to remove the entire sebaceous gland to prevent recurrence. Do not squeeze or try to puncture a sebaceous cyst - the best thing for you to do is see your doctor and follow their recommendation.
official ear stretching facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=inf ... 8509894164

official ear stretching vlog: http://www.youtube.com/user/iGiveSkeetSkeet
ericawinship

by ickyvicki » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:21 pm

you can try and treat it on your own but best bet is going to whoever pierced you. honestly you dont want it to get worse. chances are its not a keloid because those are really rare but go go go to whoever pierced you
ickyvicki

by Noelle94 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:06 am

thanks guys!

i've just been doing daily salt soaks and it's gotten considerably better. i accidently popped it the other day when i was cleaning it (and it was deeeescusting) but since then the swelling has gone down quite a bit and the bleeding stopped.

also put in a new earring with a longer stud. that might've been part of the problem. gonna continue to do my salt soaks and see what happens
Noelle94

by corazon_de_oro » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:51 am

Was it bright red, constantly throbbing, and leaking green or yellow pus? If not, it probably wasn't infected, you probably just got "the bump" that's common to cartilage piercings. I've had quite a few of them on my conch and helix piercings, as well as one on my nostril. The best thing to do is keep doing sea salt soaks, and chamomile compresses will also help (dip a chamomile teabag in some HOT water or the water from your sea salt soak and hold it there for 5-10 minutes)
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

Return to Aftercare, Healing and Safety