Question

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by PiercedGirl » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:22 pm

I had my ears pierced going on a week tomorw, can i take them out so i can clean them?? they dont hurt maybe just a little sore nothing bad...I feel like their not getting the right cleaning just with a soak ya know :) Thanks
PiercedGirl

by Tom » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:18 pm

No, don't take them out yet. Wait like a month before you take them out
Clean them with a cue-tip and Bactine.. not to much though
Plugs, Tunnels, Tapers, Spirals, Rings & More UrbanBodyJewelry.com
Tom

by joexxx » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:08 am

Yes wait some time before taking them out. Make sure they are healed, this goes for all piercings i think.
joexxx

by corazon_de_oro » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:57 pm

Don't use Bactine. Even the people who manufacture it say it shouldn't be used on puncture wounds (which obviously includes piercings). Just keep doing the sea salt soaks and don't remove the jewelry for 6-8 weeks unless the current jewelry is causing you problems. You should also wait 4-6 months before stretching.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by Tom » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:44 pm

corazon_de_oro wrote:Don't use Bactine. Even the people who manufacture it say it shouldn't be used on puncture wounds (which obviously includes piercings). Just keep doing the sea salt soaks and don't remove the jewelry for 6-8 weeks unless the current jewelry is causing you problems. You should also wait 4-6 months before stretching.

Whats wrong with Bactine? Many ear piercing professionals recommend using it!
Tom

by corazon_de_oro » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:43 am

Every good piercer I've ever spoken with (including mine who's a member of the Association of Professional Piercers and has about 15 years of experience) advises against Bactine. It kills bad bacteria but it also kills good bacteria essential for healing and it can be drying. It's basically the same reason you should never use alcohol/peroxide although it isn't as bad as those. And if the people who make it don't recommend it for puncture wounds, I definitely wouldn't use it on a piercing.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by Tom » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:22 am

I just looked on my bottle of bactine and its says "check with a doctor if using on punctured wounds" I used that stuff for years and it's always worked like a charm.. However, thanks for pointing that out, i wont be recommending it..
Tom

by corazon_de_oro » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:25 am

Yeah, different stuff works for different people but it's better to be safe than sorry; a lot of times when people use stuff like that for a long time their bodies get used to it and it works for them. I just usually stay away from stuff that kills bacteria as it's too harsh for my skin... I'd definitely rather use sea salt soaks because salt and water are found naturally in the body and nothing good is going to be killed by them. Plus the soaks are really soothing and the heat draws lymph out of the piercing.
I'm Lindsay.
corazon_de_oro

Return to Aftercare, Healing and Safety