Extra virgin olive oil? Good for lubing/massaging ears?

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by Jezzz549 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:31 pm

So I started trying to strech a tiny bit but I don't think this first taper is hardly bigger than my tunnel i had in.

Anyway I stretched to fast once in the past atleast and it bled then I got a little scab and maybe a little scar thing like right next to the whole? But yeah I starte actually looking after it but only have some saline solution left, some sorta like browny grey sea salt?. And olive oil and extra virgin olive oil.

I started using the regular olive oil cos I thought that is ok but then discivered extra virgin is probably better but I think extra virgin one kind of irritated my ears abit like made them itchy and maybe abit tender?.
Current:
Wrist initials tattoo.
Left ear lobe (3mm dermal punch) now 5mm - 4g
Right ear lobe (2.7mm d punch) 3mm - 8g

Wishlist:
Possibly bicept, shoulder, chest and side, leg and feet tattoos in future
Stretch lobes to atleast 19mm - 3/4"
Jezzz549

by twosharks » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:58 am

It's better than lesser olive oils that aren't extra virgin, but olive oil in general probably won't be as good as getting some emu oil or vitamin E. It will work ok, but you'll want to wash it off later. Unlike emu oil, it can't be used in broken or irritated skin.

Extra virgin olive oil is often labeled cold pressed. That means it hasn't been heated above a certain temperature. While this makes it taste better, it may make it less sanitary for rubbing on your skin. It would probably be fine, since it's safe for consumption, but keep in mind it hasn't been heated to the point that would kill any possible microbes. Skin oils are usually heat treated and rendered, so they might be safer on tender or fussy piercings.

As for brown or grey salt, that's not going to be pure. Impurities often make tasty fancy salts, but your piercings won't like them. Saline soaks should be pure salt. Usually sea and kosher salts are pure, but not always. So check the labels, and avoid anything with additives or minerals.
I was two sharks and a monkey.
twosharks

by Jezzz549 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:59 am

Thanks man really helpful :)

I think the salt probably is not that different colour I was probably just being abit paranoid.

Yeah I knew about the extra virgin olive oil but anyway my ears are feeling alot better really and cos I was stretching with a taper and leaving it but now I am on 4mm tunnel but acrylic :/

Cheers man
Current:
Wrist initials tattoo.

Wishlist:
Jezzz549

by Jezzz549 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:03 am

Oh and I did check for the 'cold pressed' labelling but didn't see that and one of thee other olive oils one of them is in a small bottle but from probably quite a cheapish brand but is supposed to be for skin massages and softening?. Which I have used in the past and still do everynow and then.
Current:
Wrist initials tattoo.

Wishlist:
Jezzz549

by corazon_de_oro » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:22 pm

If your ears are irritated you really shouldn't be doing any kind of oil massages. The rubbing will just make them more pissed off. And I don't really think olive oil will do any harm but to me it just seems like it would clog pores and feel nasty. Your ears will feel much better if you get some emu/vitamin E/jojoba oil. =)
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by Jezzz549 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:31 pm

Oo ok, well they are feeling alot better now but I do have the little like hanging bit of skin when it's naked like in thee inside on the diagonal top bit, is that what's called a 'cat arse'? lol or is it abit of a blow out or somthing?

I might have to try get one of them or two, which do you recommend probably not vitamin E cos i think extra virgin olive oil has that and I suppose it is abit thick like but I try to wash it off and not use too much at a time :)
Current:
Wrist initials tattoo.

Wishlist:
Jezzz549

Return to Aftercare, Healing and Safety