One ear is a little more sensitive then the other, blowout?

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by Doomba » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:10 am

Okay so, I started stretching without really doing my research, I mean I researched but obviously not enough. I bought surgical stainless steel tapers from bodyjewelrysource.com which only start at 14g. I figured since my ears have been pierced since I was a month old and my parents literally BOLTED earrings to my ears so I would stop losing them, (yes I had gold earrings in my ears until I was 10 years old, no I was never able to take them out.), it'd be fine to stretch to 14g. And I was right for one ear, for whatever reason, my left stretched to 14g with no problem, slid through. My right ear did a little trick on me though, it slid through with no issues no pinching or anything, but by morning it was throbbing, so I took it out and it was a bit crusty and had a dot of blood. So I did a sea salt soak and rubbed jojoba oil on it and it was fine.

Now here's the part where I realize I was REALLY dumb for this, but I stretched to 12g a week and a half later, my left ear slid through as if it was already stretched to 12g to before. My right ear however slid halfway through, then stopped, so I just left the taper in my ear for about an hour and it slid in. But once again come morning it felt funny, this time I just decided to deal with it for a couple days since it wasn't red or anything.

Two days later I take it out and its bleeding and swollen, and I had a little ring of skin-colored crust and skin at the back so I'm like well damn I might have a blowout, so I did a sea salt soak and rubbed my ear down with some jojoba oil, I also put my 14g taper in through the back and downsized. Did I do the right thing? What else should I do? Also, I sleep on my right ear...could this be contributing? My right earlobe is also a little smaller then my left if that has anything to do with it. Sorry for the long post, trying to give as much info as possible.
Right Ear: 14g :(
Left Ear: 12g.
Septum in the works.

New Yorkian. :D
Doomba

by ast.riske » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:24 am

It's hard to say for certain whether you have a blowout or not without a picture, but it sounds like you might. I would encourage you to downsize both ears and let the one that is angry heal. This will also allow your more pliable ear heal since stretching to 12g a week and a half after your initial stretch was too fast.

Refrain from putting oil on your injured ear as it will likely do more harm than good until your ear heals. Once you have given your injured ear a good couple of months to heal completely, get some 16g jewelry and start there. Since your ears have been pierced for so long, you should be able to just pop the 16g jewelry in.

Once you have the first stretch done, give your ears a good 6-8 weeks before stretching again. By then both of your ears should be ready for 14g jewelry. Continue going this way and you should be in good shape.

When using tapers, they should go through your ears with a single smooth motion. If you meet a lot of resistance, your ears are not ready and you should remove the taper, put your jewelry back in and wait for another little while.

Finally, it sounds like you are wearing tapers as jewelry. Tapers are intended to be a tool to help guide new jewelry into your ears. Wearing tapers as jewelry can cause issues, especially if they get bumped or pulled around, like they can while sleeping. When you stretch, be sure to have sterile jewelry made of glass, surgical steel, titanium or quartz ready so you can follow the taper with it.

Best of luck and I hope you heal quickly. : )
Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster; and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you.
-Fredrick Nietzsche

Pericings:
2g Lobes
6g Septum

Want:
Frenulum Linguae
Left inner conch
Right helix
ast.riske

by Doomba » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:16 pm

But I ordered a stretching kit that came with surgical steel tunnels AND tapers but the plugs only come from 10g to 0g. Where can I buy 12g tunnels or something? :\ Also, where can I get 16g tapers if I have to downsize that far for my right ear? I think my left is fine.
Septum in the works.

Doomba

by ViolentJayne » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:38 pm

I would just dead stretch to 16 with a non threaded CBR .. as for tunnels in those small sizes like 12 .. I would again just use a 12 ga cbr or horse shoe bar .. tunnels are kinda pointless till about 6 ga ....up till 6 they are hard to get in and really not noticeable .... good luck , happy stretching
4ga lobes ,14ga 2nd hole lobes. 14ga tounge
full sleeve and 7 other Tattoos

SHE'S ALWAYS NICE
AND GIVES ADVICE
WHEN WE DONT HAVE A CLUE
SHE NEEDS NO HELP
FROM YOU
ViolentJayne

by Doomba » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:34 pm

Thank you qts. c: Appreciate the help. :)
Septum in the works.

Doomba

Return to Aftercare, Healing and Safety