Acrylic: yay or nay?

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by katesonamission » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:38 am

Ok so, i've stretched in about a month and a half from an 18G to a 10G acrylic taper. I have not skipped any sizes (went 18>16>12>10) or had any trouble at all (no bleeding, pain, only very minor discomfort the first day or two of a new stretch). I know that i've been stretching too fast, and definitely plan to slow it down a lot, but i'm just worried about using acrylic tapers and plugs. The only place around me that sells stretching gear is a small hot topic, and the only available tapers and smaller plugs they have are acrylic. I've purchased my next size (8G acrylic tapers and micro-plugs) but am wondering whether i should buy some steel or other material ones instead? Im a total noob to stretching, and want to take care of my ears. Help?
katesonamission

by Nic » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:24 am

hello =D
. U havent been stretching to fast, cuz everyones ears are different an heal at different rates. As long as u listen to ur body and dont force ur stretching u will be fine. Acrylic is fine for short term wear such as a few weeks til u stretch to a new size. Steel is ideal to use but can be expensive. I used acrylics at lower sizes an now at my goal size i use acrylic. U must make sure to clean them alot, because i have had problems where the acrylic paint came off onto my fistulas. U sound like ur on the right road with your stretching. GOod luck an if u have ne questions just message me an il reply right back.
Left Lobe = 1 3/8in.
Right Lobe = 1, 3/8 in.
16g Bridge/Earl
14g/ 16g spider bites both sides
14g Tongue
6g Septum
Upcoming:
16g Angel bites
Retired:
Industrial
Nic

by leighmarie » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:04 am

Nic wrote:U havent been stretching to fast

Yes, she definitely has. At least six weeks is recommended for a reason. Not allowing the fistula time to heal properly is just weakening it and increasing the chance of tears.
Current:
1.6mm Tongue
1.6mm Navel
10mm Lobies (Goal: 1/2")
1.2mm Right Tragus
1.2mm Nose
1.2mm Monroe

Wishlist:
Christina piercing

leighmarie

by chuckem90 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:29 pm

I hate using acrylic im where you are at right now and ive done mine in the same time frame. and the acrylic ive used is always making my ears real dry.

BUT! this website eargauges.net is awesome. Any orders over 25$ gets free shipping and they arrive in about 3-4 days so order on a monday and have them on a friday or saturday its awesome. They sell titanium and steel and i really enjoy buying those tapers!

And btw i think they send you a 15% off coupon so on your next purchase you can get even more gauges for the same price!
chuckem90

by twosharks » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:05 am

Yes, get something steel, or titanium, or glass. Acrylic makes lots of people's piercings mad, and since you're increasing your surface area each time, you're increasing the amount of acrylic in contact with your skin. So more chance each time you stretch that your ear will decide this material makes it angry and irritated.

And slow down.
I was two sharks and a monkey.
twosharks

by Nic » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:20 am

leighmarie wrote:
Nic wrote:U havent been stretching to fast

Yes, she definitely has. At least six weeks is recommended for a reason. Not allowing the fistula time to heal properly is just weakening it and increasing the chance of tears.

No she hasnt. lol trust me (been there dun that) everyones ears are different, just cuz she didnt wait as long as u did doesnt mean she stretched to fast.
Left Lobe = 1 3/8in.
Right Lobe = 1, 3/8 in.
16g Bridge/Earl
14g Tongue
6g Septum
Upcoming:
16g Angel bites
Retired:
Industrial
Nic

by leighmarie » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:08 pm

Nic wrote:just cuz she didnt wait as long as u did doesnt mean she stretched to fast.

And just because she stretched at the same speed as you doesn't mean she hasn't. ;)
Current:
1.6mm Tongue
1.6mm Navel
1.2mm Right Tragus
1.2mm Nose
1.2mm Monroe

Wishlist:
Christina piercing

leighmarie

by Nic » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:45 pm

lolz its all purely subjective. Everyone has a different opinion =)
Left Lobe = 1 3/8in.
Right Lobe = 1, 3/8 in.
16g Bridge/Earl
14g Tongue
6g Septum
Upcoming:
16g Angel bites
Retired:
Industrial
Nic

by leighmarie » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:02 pm

Of course :)
Current:
1.6mm Tongue
1.6mm Navel
1.2mm Right Tragus
1.2mm Nose
1.2mm Monroe

Wishlist:
Christina piercing

leighmarie

by corazon_de_oro » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:32 pm

I definitely think she stretched too fast... a lot of people think smaller sizes don't matter as much and you can be careless with them but they set the foundation for all your future stretches. Going from 18G to 10G in a month and a half is a stretch every about one size every week - week and a half.

Anyway, some people have problems with acrylic, some people don't. I personally wouldn't stretch with it but some people do and have zero problems. If you have very sensitive skin I wouldn't recommend it. The best materials are glass, titanium, and surgical steel.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

Next

Return to New To Stretching