round 2 of "instruct the noob"

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by beka_2013 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:56 am

Hello everyone!

I have a quick question for all you smart and knowledgeable people on the forum. :)

Is it true you can wear your tapers as "plugs" instead of buying an actual pair of plugs?

This guy who works at the "hippie" store in my mall said so.
Not that I believe him, he even gave me the "it's ok to skip sizes" monolouge so I figured it was a bologna sandwich.

Secondly, say that I did, which I haven't...would the "taper plug" cause my ears to heal uncorrectly? IF that is even true either.

Thanks in advance to all who answer and solve my case of befuzzlement. :D
Hey, Beka here.
piercings:
have/had -- 8g's but back to a 10g (got a small tear when moving to 6g's)
want: 2g (first goal) & a triple corkscrew/spiral piercing,labret not to mention $$$ for my first tattoo, full side piece.
beka_2013

by stashapistachio » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:50 pm

Tapers are a tool for stretching not for jewellery. They're too heavy and bulky and unevenly weighted for jewellery. And can pretty easily cause uneven thinning and tears and other horrible things. Espcially if you bash them.

Basically the guys full of crap :)
stashapistachio

by corazon_de_oro » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:18 pm

Yeah, don't do it. The risks aren't THAT high at tiny sizes but as soon as you hit 8G or so they can start putting unnecessary pressure on a fresh stretch. I saw this guy a couple weeks ago wearing LOOONG tapers that looked about 7/16" and you could see where his lobe was pushed down quite a bit farther in the back than in the front.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by twosharks » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:23 am

Yeah, not a good idea. Besides the uneven weight, there's the fact they easily snag on things and can slide around to a smaller diameter. If you're adjusting them every morning, you're just giving your ear more irritation than necessary. Since tapers aren't meant as jewelry, the cheap, short ones often aren't well made or as well polished as proper jewelry. Dirt cheap steel plugs are a better choice than just trying to wear any taper.
twosharks

by Nic » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:07 pm

at small sizes it doesnt matter if u wear tapers. Dont u see all the trendy lil kids an gangsta wearing lil tapers? =P
but seriously its fine untile u get to a certain size, like i didnt wear ne tapers at 00g an on. Dont skip sizes tho, that guy musta ben a retard.
Left Lobe = 1 3/8in.
Right Lobe = 1, 3/8 in.
16g Bridge/Earl
14g/ 16g spider bites both sides
14g Tongue
6g Septum
Upcoming:
16g Angel bites
Retired:
Industrial
Nic

Return to New To Stretching