New to stretching. What is normal?

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by PoppyV » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:20 pm

Okay. I bought my first taper, and have put it in. [It is about 16-14g] I got it halfway, and got a bit of resistance. So I left it in for a few hours how it was, then soaked it in warm water and pushed it through the rest of the way and it was fine. It stung a tiny bit [but no more than if you put an earring through your ear and have to push through a bit of skin] for a few hours but hasn't hurt really since. What I am unsure about is the fact that it has swollen. Not a lot- and it isn't red or bleeding, the earlobe is just a bit larger than usual.

I have been cleaning it in salt water.

So what is normal? Does my ear sound healthy? Oh, and is it okay to leave this taper in for a few weeks till it's healed and I am going up to the next size?
PoppyV

by leighmarie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:25 pm

I think most people have some swelling, even if their ear isn't painful.

Leaving in a taper isn't a good idea though, especially as ideally you'll wait 2 months before going up to the next size. Tapers are tools, not jewellery, and they can easily damage your stretch.
Current:
1.6mm Tongue
1.6mm Navel
10mm Lobies (Goal: 1/2")
1.2mm Right Tragus
1.2mm Nose
1.2mm Monroe

Wishlist:
Christina piercing

leighmarie

by Hardware » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:46 pm

Is the taper metal or plastic? Some people have a hard time with the acrylic while others don't. It's an ongoing argument on this site. I personally put my trust in metal. Also, make sure the O-rings are not too tight against your piercing, make sure there is some room for it to breathe.
Leighmarie is right though, tapers are tools, not jewelry. I would personally not wear the tapers, I would get some 14G captive bead rings.
It's not a revolution, it's a lifestyle.
Hardware

by PoppyV » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:04 am

It is a plastic taper. And okay, I think I will look for some captive bead rings then.
PoppyV

by Hardware » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:26 am

I also just noticed in your initial post that you are soaking them in just warm water. You will want to get some sea salt to soak them in, it will make them feel a lot better and in my opinion it helps with the pain, it's quite easy to obtain from your local grocery store. Here is the mixing instructions I use:
Non-iodized sea salt mixture: Dissolve 1/8 to 1/4 Teaspoon of non-iodized (iodine free) sea salt into 1 cup (8oz) of warm distilled or bottled water.
Keep in mind that a stronger mixture is not better! A mixture that is too strong can irritate your earlobes.
Hardware

by PoppyV » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:53 pm

Okay thank you.

Does anyone know how long (on average) it should take for the swelling to go down?
PoppyV

by Nic » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:44 pm

If there are no tears or anything and u dont knock it around alot it should only be 2 days max before the swelling goes down. If it is swelling longer then that u might have a problem. Good luck and happy stretching. =D
Left Lobe = 1 3/8in.
Right Lobe = 1, 3/8 in.
16g Bridge/Earl
14g/ 16g spider bites both sides
14g Tongue
6g Septum
Upcoming:
16g Angel bites
Retired:
Industrial
Nic

by Hardware » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:16 am

Did you get metal rings in there yet? Because changing your earrings after keeping the tapers in for a few days could very well prolong the swelling. Everything should be fine though, just keep doing your sea salt soaks for 5 minutes twice a day. The sea salt soaks should help with the swelling, otherwise you can try ibuprofen and sleep with your head slightly elevated.
Also remember to not touch your piercings unless are cleaning them and to never touch a fresh piercing/stretching for any reason unless you just washed your hands with soap and water.
Hardware

by PoppyV » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:38 pm

No, not yet. Have to wait for the weekend. I actually have a shop near me that sells 14g Steel Screw Flesh Tunnels. Would they be fine to wear as well?

Oh and the swelling is starting to go down now, so all seems fine.
PoppyV

by Hardware » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:49 pm

I would personally go with the rings at first since the tissue inside the ear is still delicate. Putting a screw piece in can irritate the the ear because of the threading on the tunnels.
Hardware

Next

Return to New To Stretching