What are all the sizes I need to stretch by? Urgent!

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by Keyanna04 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:38 pm

I'm going to stretch my ears. Eventually, I would like to get up to a 1/2 plug. Here are some of my questions:
    1. What are all of the sizes I will need to stretch with to get from a earring size to a 1/2 plug (Please list them all in order!!)
    2. Where is the best, affordable, and reliable place to buy plugs online? Must deliver to Canada!!
    3. How long should I wait between stretching my ears? 1-2 months, or more?
    4. Approx. how long will it take to get from my current standard earring size to a 1/2 plug?
Thank you so much! Please try to be as basic as possible with your answers because I'm still new to the stretching world and could get confused! Thank you!
Image<-- This is the 1/2 plug that I would eventually like to achieve!
Keyanna04

by corazon_de_oro » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:25 am

1. Figuring out the sizes is pretty easy when you start looking at jewelry. Your standard earrings are 20G, followed by 18G, 16G, 14G, 12G, 10G, 8G, 6G, 4G, 2G, 1G (uncommon size but 2G-0G is a huge jump and finding some 1G jewelry will make it much safer), 0G, 00G, 7/16", and 1/2". You can also think of it in millimeters: 0.8mm (20G), 1mm (18G), 1.2mm (16G), 1.6mm (14G), 2mm (12G), 2.4mm (10G), 3mm-3.2mm (8G), 4mm (6G), 5mm (4G), 6mm (2G), 7mm (1G), 8mm (0G), 9mm-10mm (00G), ~11mm (7/16"), ~12mm (1/2"). Most stretches should be 1mm except at sizes before 6G, which are smaller jumps. With sizes like 00G, make sure you get 9mm jewelry first; I actually treated that size like two separate sizes. I know it seems really confusing but once you start researching and looking at jewelry you'll get the hang of it.

2. My favorite place to get jewelry is bodyartforms.com. They have very fast shipping in the US and I know they ship to other countries as well. They have a wide range of jewelry, from cheap to expensive. The good thing about them is they have a lot of discounts and if you spend a certain amount you can get free jewelry or order credit. I actually have some discount codes for them for the rest of the year if you'd like me to message them to you.

3. A good amount of time to have in mind is 6-8 weeks between sizes. However, that's not set in stone and everyone's ears are different, so some people might need longer. If you try to stretch after 6-8 weeks and you're having pain or a lot of resistance, wait longer. Stretching should never hurt or require a lot of force.

4. It's really impossible to say how long it will take because everyone's ears are different and people will have to wait different amounts of time between sizes. But you're probably looking at around a year and a few months to a year and a half, maybe more.

Here are some other tips since you're just starting out:
-Most tapers and plugs don't come below 14G, so in 18G and 16G you'll have to find other jewelry. Try captive bead rings, labrets, or straight barbells.
-The best time to stretch is after a long, hot shower when your skin is loosened up. Use plenty of oil (the best ones to use are jojoba, vitamin E, or emu oil) to lubricate your ears and the jewelry.
-Tapers are tools for stretching, not jewelry. Many people wear them but it's actually pretty dangerous; they can put uneven pressure on your ears, causing a blowout or tear, and they're very long which allows them to get knocked easily. With every stretch (besides tiny sizes, like I said) you'll only need one taper and a pair of single-flare or no-flare plugs. Never use double-flares to stretch.
-The best materials in fresh stretches are glass, titanium, or steel if you don't have a nickel allergy. Avoid acrylic, silicone, wood, bone, stone, etc. in new stretches. It's okay to use an acrylic taper as long as you put in metal or glass plugs immediately.

Hope I helped... good luck!
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by Keyanna04 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:31 am

Thanks Lindsay! I'll check out that website and get back to you! (:
-Keyanna xo
Keyanna04

by bradykay90 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:42 am

Shes right everybodys ears are different i went from a 14g to a 2g in 40 days but unlike everybody else the force there tapers or pinchers in when i stretch ill go til theres pressure then stop till it goes away so far the longest it to was a lil over 2 hours and that was from the 6g to 4g stretch yes people will say im stupid but ive had professional piercers look at my ears and say nothing is wrong. Only thing that was wrong was a lil bit of scared tissue on my right lobe. Just take ur time dnt rush into it. And have fun stretching ur ears
My left lobe is 1/2" my right is 00g.
bradykay90

by bradykay90 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:50 am

O yea why are you not suppose to wear acrylic on fresh stretches. I have used acrylic on all of my stretches without any problems... im just wondering
bradykay90

by mouse2cat » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:14 pm

bradykay90 wrote:O yea why are you not suppose to wear acrylic on fresh stretches. I have used acrylic on all of my stretches without any problems... im just wondering

Acrylic is porous so it holds bacteria, this is especially problematic after a fresh stretch when your ear is more susceptible to infection. It cannot be properly sterilized. Also sometimes people will have allergic reactions to the acrylic, it tends to acquire more ear gunk, and it isn't terribly cute.

You can use an acrylic taper as long as you immediately put in a plug that is hypoallergenic like surgical steel or glass.
mouse2cat

by bradykay90 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:53 am

Thanks mouse2cat ive never had a problem with it. I got 1 infection from a 10g-8g but i did the stretch 2 days after lol i ways inpatient
bradykay90

by Trill850 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:20 am

acrylic will tend to stick sometimes in a fresh stretch so try to avoid using it untill your ears are healed
Trill850

Return to New To Stretching