When should I start stretching?

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by marcwinters » Thu May 03, 2012 1:41 am

I pierced both lobes about 2 weeks ago myself. My ears never were irritated, infected, or anything like that. It feels like my piercing are healed already, but my friend said it takes about 6 weeks to heal completely.

Question is, when should I start stretching? Now? At the 6 week mark? Any sort of comment/reply is appreciated, thanks in advance! :D
marcwinters

by corazon_de_oro » Thu May 03, 2012 10:47 pm

You're not going to like my answer, but it's really best to wait about six months to begin stretching. I know it sounds like a long time, but when it a piercing is healed that means it's healed enough to change to other jewelry of the same size; stretching is completely different. Your piercings need to be healed AND strong enough to stretch.

Did you pierce them with sterile needles and sterile jewelry? Are you sure the placement is exactly how you want it? What size are they?

If you're impatient, here's an option: take out the piercings, go to a good, reputable professional piercer, and ask about getting pierced at a larger size like 10G, 8G, or 6G. That way you can go ahead and wear plugs/other jewelry for stretched ears while you wait for them to heal.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by marcwinters » Thu May 03, 2012 11:51 pm

Six months.. :\ I was hoping or six weeks honestly haha. I understand why six months, but what are the repercussions of stretching in just six weeks instead? Im only going as far as maybe 6ga or 4ga. If I were going bigger I'd definitely wait 6 months just so my lobes will be that much healthier, but does it really matter for such small sizes?
marcwinters

by corazon_de_oro » Fri May 04, 2012 1:01 am

Well, honestly, most lobe piercings won't even be fully healed in six weeks. I know a lot of people say six weeks, but that's usually the minimum. It usually takes about 8-12 weeks for them to heal.

If you stretch too soon, you risk blowouts, scar tissue, and tearing. When it's all said and done you'll probably end up with wrinkly lobes or a blowout that won't go away. If you get lucky and those things don't happen, at the very least it's going to be very painful! However, if you want to risk it that's up to you. Damage won't be as noticeable at small sizes but it can still happen. Also, if you DO change your mind you might have a harder time stretching bigger.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by marcwinters » Fri May 04, 2012 2:12 am

I seeee. I'll definitely put some thought into it. As much as I want to get going now, I guess I'll just have to wait. Another question, can tapers be worn as jewelry? I hear about the uneven stretching/irritation tapers cause when worn as jewelry. But at a size at, say 8g, does it really change anything? I'm purchasing a stainless steel taper stretching kit and it'd be nice if I didn't have to buy a plug/tunnel for every size I move up.
marcwinters

by corazon_de_oro » Fri May 04, 2012 8:14 pm

Tapers should not be worn as jewelry because they can put uneven pressure on the piercing and move around too much, both of which can cause blowouts. At tiny sizes it probably won't hurt you, but it's really not a good habit to get into.

What size are your piercings and what size does the stretching kit start at? If you used normal earrings (which aren't very good for initial piercings anyway) you're only at a 20G. Most stretching kits start at 14G so you'd be skipping two sizes. That's why I suggested taking your DIY piercings out and getting them done by a professional who will use a larger gauge.
I'm Lindsay.
corazon_de_oro

by marcwinters » Sat May 05, 2012 4:57 pm

The earrings I healed with were 16g. I healed with fake plugs and the bar was 16g. How do I know when my lobe piercing is completely healed? I can take my earring out to clean it, and my hole is just fine. Doesn't hurt or anything when I remove or insert my earring. I'm sure that doesn't mean it's healed though, so what does?
marcwinters

by corazon_de_oro » Sat May 05, 2012 5:36 pm

Piercings heal from the outside in, so they will usually look and feel somewhat healed long before they actually are.
You really don't need to take them out to clean them... taking out the jewelry to clean in healed piercings is good, but with a healing piercing the best thing to do is just leave it alone. Soak your piercing in a mixture of sea salt and water (1/4 teaspoon per one cuo) for 5-10 minutes every day and leave it alone besides that. No touching, no moving/twisting the jewelry, etc. That'll make healing a lot quicker.
I'm Lindsay.
corazon_de_oro

by marcwinters » Sun May 06, 2012 8:03 pm

Okay, yeah that's something that crossed my mind; whether or not taking the piercing out while cleaning was smart. Also, the illusion plugs I wear look like this:

Should I take it out and put in a normal, metal stud? It seems like my piercing would heal alot quicker, because the fake plug I'm wearing now keeps oxygen from reaching the piercing, you could argue. The only down side to switching to the metal stud, is that it's an 18g rod instead of a 16g. What would you do, keep the 16g illusion plug in, or replace with a metal stud?
marcwinters

by mouse2cat » Sun May 06, 2012 9:22 pm

I think your Fake plugs should be just fine. I don't think the shape will inhibit healing. And I wouldn't worry about the difference between 18G and 16G until you are actually ready to stretch.

Just wear the earrings you enjoy the most as long as they don't irritate your ears.
mouse2cat

Next

Return to New To Stretching