Some problems with stretching. A bit of blood...

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by dont_touch_the_glass » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:31 am

After a long time of wanting to, I decided to finally stretch my ears!

Some background:

I've been pierced since I was a baby. I'm about to be 23 now, so I'm sure it's healed enough hah.

I never wore earrings before. Maybe once or twice, much more when I was younger but not as I got older.

Okay. So I bought myself 14g tapers from Hot Topic. (yeah, that's where everyone gets them...) I put them in, and although a bit difficult, I finally got them in. But my left ear seems to not have taken well to the 14g plugs. At first everything seemed well other than the swelling. But then when I took them out to clean that second day, putting them back in hurt in my left ear more than the right. So I clean it and see a small dot of blood but nothing serious. But I've heard that it's not supposed to bleed at all or somethings wrong.

I thought it would heal itself so I kept putting it in, but after about two weeks, it doesn't look like it's gonna heal by itself at all so I've removed it. Today was the last straw as I kept finding krusty red stuff on the rubber band and my ear bled more dots than usual. Was this the right thing to do or am I just being impatient? I feel stupid just wearing 1 plug but I should have been more careful. Touching my left ear now, it feels like there's a tiny ball inside. But come to think of it, I think that ball has been there even before I tried stretching.

Perhaps not wearing earrings all this time, I'm thinking. Perhaps I should have bought 16g instead? I'm thinking of letting the left ear heal and then buying a 16g for it.

I also have a second question. My right ear is doing fine until I kind of noticed that it's kind of hard to take out the plug and put it back in. It's super easy putting it in through the front but through the back, not really. It feels like there's something there kind of blocking it. But it doesn't take long to put it back with some gentle pushing but I feel like it shouldn't be that way either. No blood, no pain, but I think that's very odd and was wondering if it is normal.
dont_touch_the_glass

by corazon_de_oro » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:47 am

If I were you I'd downsize and start over so you don't risk scar tissue/other permanent damage. 14G is quite a bit bigger than regular earrings, starting with 18G would be your best bet. Before that, maybe even try wearing regular earrings constantly for a while to get your lobes used to having jewelry in them.

Also, don't wear tapers long-term or keep acrylic jewelry in fresh stretches. You'll want a pair of single-flare/no flare plugs (or labrets/barbells at smaller sizes) in steel, glass, or titanium at each size.

I'm not really sure about the last part... the only idea I have is that the back of the hole could be closing up quickly. You don't have to take them out for cleaning; just leave them alone for a few days after stretching. If you stretch slowly and carefully you won't have any open wounds that need cleaning like piercings do.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by dont_touch_the_glass » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:57 am

I tried Googling for 18g tapers/plugs. I had no luck with that size. Or I find the 18g taper but with no plug.

What do you mean by downsize? Buy a smaller plug and put it in while it heals? Or let heal first and then put in a smaller plug?

Thanks for the advice. I thought you had to take them out for cleaning everyday.
dont_touch_the_glass

by corazon_de_oro » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:17 pm

No problem. :)
Yeah, 18G plugs/tapers are super hard to find. Most people just use body jewelry like barbells, rings or labrets at tiny sizes. You probably won't even need a taper if your lobes are ready to stretch; try putting them in after a hot shower with some oil and they should go right in.

Downsizing means to put in smaller jewelry to let it heal. That'll take the pressure off your lobes and make them less likely to form scar tissue.

Most people with healed stretches take their plugs out to clean every day just to wash off dead skin cells ("ear cheese") and whatnot but in the first few days after a stretch it's best to just leave them alone to settle.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by dont_touch_the_glass » Wed May 09, 2012 11:39 pm

Well I'm back...

Instead of downsizing, I just left it naked. Today I tried to insert the taper in again so I could put the plug back in.

It was hard to put the taper in and it actually hurt. it was almost like the hole was blocked by something. I managed to get the tip in and my ear bled a few dots again on a napkin. I think instead of leaving it without jewelry, I should find a 16g labret or something right?

I'm scared my ear is healing wrong.
dont_touch_the_glass

by Trill850 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:00 am

if you are having problems finding smaller tapers u can go to a professional piercer and have them do it for you
Trill850

Return to New To Stretching