New Stretch looking for pointers and advice.

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by Boricua » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:48 pm

Hey so here's the deal, i got my ears pierced at the mall like 2 months ago....yea after reading on this site most likely mistake #1. Not even a week ago i went to my tattoo artist who also does piercing and stretching as i figured it was about time to go thru with it. The piercing was at a 22-20g as it was a gun piercing. I was looking at a nice stainless steel tunnel, smallest size.....8G...he let me know as long as he did the stretch it would be fine. I went thru with it, he used his stainless steel tapers started to stretch to 14G and had me hang out for a bit. We proceeded to go with the next taper to 8G and then the tunnel. It burned like hell! No pain just a nice...enjoyable burn...like a tattoo. It's been 3 days since the stretch feeling good no pain, been cleaning 2x a day with anti-bacterial/microbrial soap. Id like to continue the stretch to min 2G. The shop guy said i could go back to him for the next stretch i buy the jewlery from him the stretch is free.....any advice or suggestions should i wait longer? when can i take the tunnels i have on now to clean the lobes and tunnel? :?:
Boricua

by KAISERROLLS » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:11 am

Okay, well to start off you have already made a ton of mistakes.
First off guns arnt the greatest thing to get pierced with, but it looks like you already know that.
Second you didnt wait long enough for your ears to heal. 2 months is only good enough of a heal to change out your jewelry, you SHOULD wait for at least 6 months until you even think about doing your first stretch.
Third, you seem to have skipped 18g, 16g, 12g, and 10g, you should NEVER skip sizes, even if it doesnt hurt. Personally with stuff like that, i think that you got extremely lucky. Also as a side note, wait at least a month if not more in between sizes a week is wayyyy to short.
Fourth, it seems to me that your piercer doesn't know what hes doing, otherwise he would have told you the possible consequences of doing all this stuff

Im glad this has worked out for you so far, but please take some of our advise on here, and dont hurt your ears any more than they already have been.
Piercings
1g Left 0g Right Lobes
Right Industrial (retired)
Right Tragus (retired)
Tattoos
4 Hours on sleeve
KAISERROLLS

by Boricua » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:18 am

i figured i had a bunch of mistakes, after everything Ive read here i figured a week between stretches was not enough time. How about taking of the tunnel for cleaning?
Boricua

by corazon_de_oro » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:58 am

KAISERROLLS wrote:Okay, well to start off you have already made a ton of mistakes.
First off guns arnt the greatest thing to get pierced with, but it looks like you already know that.
Second you didnt wait long enough for your ears to heal. 2 months is only good enough of a heal to change out your jewelry, you SHOULD wait for at least 6 months until you even think about doing your first stretch.
Third, you seem to have skipped 18g, 16g, 12g, and 10g, you should NEVER skip sizes, even if it doesnt hurt. Personally with stuff like that, i think that you got extremely lucky. Also as a side note, wait at least a month if not more in between sizes a week is wayyyy to short.
Fourth, it seems to me that your piercer doesn't know what hes doing, otherwise he would have told you the possible consequences of doing all this stuff

Im glad this has worked out for you so far, but please take some of our advise on here, and dont hurt your ears any more than they already have been.

I agree with all of this.

Just because a piercer tells you something is okay, doesn't mean it is. Lots of piercers are horribly misinformed about stretching even if they're good piercers. It's just a relatively new thing (in our culture, anyway) and there's still a lot of bad information out there. The best thing to do is take advice from experienced people on sites like this and do all your stretches yourself. Going to a piercer for a stretch isn't a very good idea not only because they tend to give bad advice but also because they can't feel your pain and will shove the next size through even if you're not ready. Doing it yourself allows you to listen to your body.

If I were you, I would get some good quality jewelry (surgical steel or titanium labrets or straight barbells) in 18G or so and just let those heal for a few months. Then stretch one size at a time. If you insist on keeping your 8G stretches in, leave them to heal for several months before you think about stretching again. Once they heal, start massaging your ears with an oil like vitamin E or jojoba to break down scar tissue.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

Return to New To Stretching