Started at 14g, was it wrong?

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by bbertram790 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:46 am

So I just got my ears pierced for the first time today and I told the piercer at the tattoo shop that I was at that I planned on gauging or stretching my ears in the future. Because I was nervous my mind went blank when he asked if I wanted a 16 or 14, so I said 14 because it was only one size difference. But now I remembered that some people start at 20 or 18. Now I'm worried that my ears might never fully close if I ever decide to do away with my piercings. I know I'm overly worrying but I have to know if I'll be fine or if I should do something about it?
bbertram790

by corazon_de_oro » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:38 pm

14G is perfectly fine to get pierced at! It's good to get pierced at that size or even larger if you want to stretch because it saves you a lot of time with the small sizes. I got pierced at 10G and am really glad I did. People really only get pierced at 18G or 20G if they go to Claire's or something and get them done with a gun... which are terrible pieces of equipment that should be illegal... But anyway, if you stretch your ears you always run the risk of them not shrinking someday no matter what size you're at. Some people will say what the "point of no return" is but really it's different for everybody. But if it does shrink, starting at 14G won't effect it much, if at all.

Also, you'll increase your chances of them shrinking if you stretch very slowly and carefully. Fresh piercings need around 6 months to be ready to stretch. The piercings need time not just to heal fully but also to strengthen and loosen up so the next size can go in easily. After that, stretch one size at a time every 6-8+ weeks, don't stretch until you can do so without pain or resistance.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by bbertram790 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:09 pm

ok thanx, i was worried about not starting at a 16 at least. and i'm definitely not going to go fast like some people do.
bbertram790

Return to New To Stretching