Spirals and Acrylic Questions

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by WoopAhhh » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:38 am

So my ears are at the standard 18g currently, and I was planning on buying some 14g spirals. I absolutely love spirals. However, my gf already bought me some for christmas, and they're acrylic. I've heard some bad things about leaving acrylic things in. Should I worry?
WoopAhhh

by ast.riske » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:53 am

Two things:

First, I would encourage you to not skip sizes. Since you are at 18g now, you should really go to 16g before going to 14g. This will benefit you and encourage healthy lobes.

Secondly, you're right, acrylic isn't meant for long-term wear. I would suggest you get something else in addition to the spirals to wear while a) stretching and b) everyday wear.

While you are stretching wear surgical steel, titanium, glass or quartz. I suggest quartz only because it is sturdier and, at smaller sizes, you can get plugs and other jewelry where I am unsure what the smallest size they make glass jewelry in is.

Once your stretch is healed you are going to want to wear some sort of inert material on the regular, I usually wear steel myself, as of late. When you want to wear something fun/flashy/what have you, that is the time to pull out your acrylic spirals. Generally people don't have reactions to acrylic in a single day of wear, but long-term your ears could react badly to acrylic. Also, spirals at such a small size could be quite fragile, so you definitely don't want to wear them while doing things that could damage them, including sleep.

I guess my point is, spirals are great during the day and acrylic is okay sometimes, but neither are good for sleeping in. ; ) In the meanwhile, you can probably get 16g steel spirals.

http://www.amazon.com/316L-Surgical-Ste ... B005SKP28M : D
Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster; and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you.
-Fredrick Nietzsche

Pericings:
2g Lobes
6g Septum

Want:
Frenulum Linguae
Left inner conch
Right helix
ast.riske

by ViolentJayne » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:00 pm

ast.riske wrote:Two things:

First, I would encourage you to not skip sizes. Since you are at 18g now, you should really go to 16g before going to 14g. This will benefit you and encourage healthy lobes.

Secondly, you're right, acrylic isn't meant for long-term wear. I would suggest you get something else in addition to the spirals to wear while a) stretching and b) everyday wear.

While you are stretching wear surgical steel, titanium, glass or quartz. I suggest quartz only because it is sturdier and, at smaller sizes, you can get plugs and other jewelry where I am unsure what the smallest size they make glass jewelry in is.

Once your stretch is healed you are going to want to wear some sort of inert material on the regular, I usually wear steel myself, as of late. When you want to wear something fun/flashy/what have you, that is the time to pull out your acrylic spirals. Generally people don't have reactions to acrylic in a single day of wear, but long-term your ears could react badly to acrylic. Also, spirals at such a small size could be quite fragile, so you definitely don't want to wear them while doing things that could damage them, including sleep.

I guess my point is, spirals are great during the day and acrylic is okay sometimes, but neither are good for sleeping in. ; ) In the meanwhile, you can probably get 16g steel spirals.

http://www.amazon.com/316L-Surgical-Ste ... B005SKP28M : D

I got My friend who wants to stretch soon and likes my spirals ( Im a spiral and hangie fan big time ) any way the smallest I could find spirals in were 12 gauge and they are still quite fragile as ast.riske said
4ga lobes ,14ga 2nd hole lobes. 14ga tounge
full sleeve and 7 other Tattoos

SHE'S ALWAYS NICE
AND GIVES ADVICE
WHEN WE DONT HAVE A CLUE
SHE NEEDS NO HELP
FROM YOU
ViolentJayne

Return to New To Stretching