Titanium VS Stainless Steel

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by Will He Is » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:09 am

Since it seems this entire forum is very helpful following my previous question, I thought I would pop in with another. I found myself a stretching kit to take me from 14g right up to 0g, my goal size. The only problem being that it is missing a couple tunnels. Ok, quick search later I am stumped. I've seen people mention that SS is better than silicone, acrylic, wood etc., but how about titanium? It seems that it would be very similar, to be honest I think they look cooler, and it would give me some variation from 8 months of SS.

Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks a lot guys.
Will He Is

by stashapistachio » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:35 am

It depends what you mean by 'better'.
Titanium has a much lower nickel content than SS (ie, none), it looks pretty much the same, but the shine is a teensy bit darker. Ti is also a lot lighter and stronger than steel, and more expensive. It can also be anodised in different colours (steel is just PVD plated). Basically, its better.
Awesome steel made by an awesome company is going to be 'better' than some really crap ti though.
But unless you have a nickel allergy, steel is fine.
Last edited by stashapistachio on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
stashapistachio

by Will He Is » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:47 am

Thanks for the reply. The only thing I noticed was that there was about a 20cent price difference. It's the same manufacturer so I think I'll go for the Titanium.
Will He Is

by ast.riske » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:46 pm

You should have at least as good of results with Ti as with steel. Ti is generally recommended to people who have a strong nickel sensitivity (as stashapistachio said) and is often referred to as an inert metal, much like niobium. Ti isn't always more expensive, though. Bodycircle, for example, sells some of their Ti jewelry for less than their steel. : )
Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster; and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you.
-Fredrick Nietzsche

Pericings:
2g Lobes
6g Septum

Want:
Frenulum Linguae
Left inner conch
Right helix
ast.riske

Return to New To Stretching