Possible to Temp Stretch Ear Cartilage Skin?

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by mcKempt » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:17 am

Hey, does anyone know if its possible to temp stretch your ear cartilage for fitting in double flared plugs?

I had just gotten my lobes and scapha pierced a little under a month ago at a 10g. I have already fit 8g into my scapha (It being pierced larger I wasn't worried about the stretch too soon and doesn't hurt anymore) however I would like to fit an 8g double flared plug in it since I'm pretty set on those being at an 8g.
Currently have 8g in my 10g lobes to fit a double flared in them. I really like the style and comfort of the double flares, after finding regular plugs in my scapha WAY too tight (During this time they were swollen though, after assuming I would have to tape the holes up to a 8g instead of just sliding that size in. Turns out I taped it more then 8g. It hurt immensely and was stretched after less than 24 hours.)

I know the standard for lobes is to stretch it a little before putting it in and the lobe will just retract back tight around it.

Would the skin around my cartilage piercings work the same or is there a different way to get double flared in there?
mcKempt

by ast.riske » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:33 pm

mcKempt wrote:Hey, does anyone know if its possible to temp stretch your ear cartilage for fitting in double flared plugs?

I had just gotten my lobes and scapha pierced a little under a month ago at a 10g. I have already fit 8g into my scapha (It being pierced larger I wasn't worried about the stretch too soon and doesn't hurt anymore) however I would like to fit an 8g double flared plug in it since I'm pretty set on those being at an 8g.
Currently have 8g in my 10g lobes to fit a double flared in them. I really like the style and comfort of the double flares, after finding regular plugs in my scapha WAY too tight (During this time they were swollen though, after assuming I would have to tape the holes up to a 8g instead of just sliding that size in. Turns out I taped it more then 8g. It hurt immensely and was stretched after less than 24 hours.)

I know the standard for lobes is to stretch it a little before putting it in and the lobe will just retract back tight around it.

Would the skin around my cartilage piercings work the same or is there a different way to get double flared in there?

Yikes! First, please let your piercings HEAL before stretching them and doing other sorts of further modification. You should downsize your lobes to what they were pierced at and give them another 5-6 MONTHS before stretching.

As far as cartilage piercings, double flare and cartilage do not go together. You can't just stretch the skin, since there is cartilage under there. Great care needs to be taken or you will do permanent damage to your ear. If you want to put a plug in your antihelix, there are many different single-flare options, but first you should assume it's not even healed for 6-12 months. Cartilage piercings take a LONG time to heal.

In the end, cartilage and non cartilage piercings are going to differ in jewelry type and comfort. Though you may find double-flare jewelry comfortable in your lobes (which you shouldn't be using less than a month after piercing) even if you managed to somehow get DF plugs into your antihelix without damaging the cartilage, I doubt you'd find it so comfortable since it would likely slip around. Also, once you got the jewelry in, if you didn't permanently break the cartilage in your ear, you may never be able to get it out again without potential damage.

TL;DR?

Cartilage will break. Be nice to it. Rough handling is bad. Don't stretch so soon after piercing. Downsize everything and leave it the hell alone (LITHA) until it is actually healed.

</soapbox>
Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster; and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you.
-Fredrick Nietzsche

Pericings:
2g Lobes
6g Septum

Want:
Frenulum Linguae
Left inner conch
Right helix
ast.riske

by SassafrasChelsea » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:39 am

cartilage is difficult :O i have my cartilage to a 2g....be REALLY careful
Right ear: 0g, two 6gs on lobe; 2g on cartilage....
goal: 00 on lobe! perhaps a 0g on cartilage?

Left ear: 8g, two 14gs on lobe; 14g on cartilage
goal: 00 on lobe!
SassafrasChelsea

by ast.riske » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:26 pm

SassafrasChelsea wrote:cartilage is difficult :O i have my cartilage to a 2g....be REALLY careful

Did you stretch up to 2g? What gauge did you start at? Did you stretch by half-gauges? I'm interested, could you tell? Lol
Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster; and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you.
-Fredrick Nietzsche

Pericings:
2g Lobes
6g Septum

Want:
Frenulum Linguae
Left inner conch
Right helix
ast.riske

by stashapistachio » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:44 pm

For a start Scapha is the same as a helix or cartilage piercing if anyone is confused :)

At 8g flares are often too big (in comparison to the wearable) for stretchy lobes to handle, let alone cartilage. If you stretch up to get them in, you may well never ever get them out. Cartilage is a bitch to stretch with proper tools as it is.
NONE of my cartilage piercings can handle double flares. And they're all well healed and larger. If the jewellery is that amazing and you can't find it in single flare (like alot of stone) you can dremel the back flare off pretty easily, with wood, horn, glass, stone etc.. Just make sure you use the proper tools and a fine enough grit to finish it, as well as oil or wax if it needs it.

And yes, sounds like you stretched too soon. And its definately much too soon to be thinking of trying DFs. Its a good idea to leave 6months+ between sizes, and thats after the initial piercing is properly healed. Cartilage can get VERY pissed off!
stashapistachio

by SassafrasChelsea » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:00 am

ast.riske wrote:
SassafrasChelsea wrote:cartilage is difficult :O i have my cartilage to a 2g....be REALLY careful

Did you stretch up to 2g? What gauge did you start at? Did you stretch by half-gauges? I'm interested, could you tell? Lol

I got mine pierced at 12g about 3 years ago....I started stretching it about 1 year and some months ago....I stretched with tapers (normal sizes - 10g, 8g, 6g, etc...), you can complain all you want that tapers is bad and everything but I've never had a problem with them sooooooo yea XD the good thing is that (for me anyway), a cartilage stretching healed a lot faster than a lobe stretch...I don't really know why but it did XD the bad thing is that no matter how long you wait, going up a size hurts more than the lobe by far, I waited about 2-3 months before going up and it's just kinda painful lol I've only had one mishap, when I was going from 6g to a 4g, I bought a taper from a tattoo parlor, but it turned out to be a 2g taper instead and my cartilage shattered in one part and it was really floppy and rubbery-like, although now it's stronger and less floppy :D I downsized and waited a few months then bought some 4g tapers from a different place lol I'm waiting to go up 0g for my cartilage (I've had a 2g in for almost 7 months) but I think I'll just get those special 1g online since 2g-0g is such a big stretch! that stretch wasn't any problem for the lobe but i don't want to test it out on my cartilage...well, I hope that helped!

SassafrasChelsea

by SassafrasChelsea » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:03 am

also, you can see my pics :) i have the naked hole and the pic with the plugs in :D

SassafrasChelsea

Return to New To Stretching