should I, or shouldn't I?

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by slow_the_rain » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:40 pm

Hi!

I'm a college freshman, and I'm actually studying musical theatre, with the hopes of being a stage actor in the future. My ears are not stretched, let alone pierced, but I have always wanted to stretch since I was a very young boy.

I have a couple of questions though. My ideal size would eventually be 3/4". Could I still hide them with flesh colored plugs at that size? I would love to have stretched ears, I just do not want to make a bad decision that could seriously hinder my career. Also, I am currently taking an acting class that requires all black dress, and no make-up or jewelry. Since I do not have my ears pierced presently, if I were to get them pierced, how long would it be before I could switch the jewelry out for retainers (twice a week, for about two hours)? And would I be able to leave plugs and tunnels out at smaller sizes for the same amount of time without having too much shrinkage?

Any advice is much appreciated.
slow_the_rain

by corazon_de_oro » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:07 pm

Well, retainers and flesh-colored plugs aren't invisible, so somewhere down the line you will deal with people who don't even accept those. On stage, there is usually a lot of lighting directly on you, so people in the first couple rows might notice if you have short hair.

Anyway, the best thing for you to do, if you decide to get them pierced, is find glass or bioplast retainers that are safe for long-term wear. Clear plastic retainers shouldn't be worn in a healing piercing or for long periods of time in a healed one. And you'll want something you can put in and keep in for the healing time of your lobes, because constant jewelry changes will irritate new piercings.
You might be able to find a piercer who will pierce you with retainers (either they'll have them there or you'll bring them in and they'll sterilize them for you). If not, it might be a good idea if you wait until after you've taken the class to get your ears pierced.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

Return to New To Stretching