Complete noob.....

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by CostaCossie » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:16 pm

Hi,

So I'm new here but need help. I have my standard piercings and have done for about 12 years so no problems in waiting for those to heal. I got my first stretchers today and they are 1.6mm/14g. I have put them in as far as they will go without being too painful (it stings a little - I'm hoping this is about right?) but what do I do now? I'm guessing i keep pushing them in bit by bit as much as I can stand?

Can anyone please give me a bit of guidance? I have googled for it but I'd like to hear from people who have done this before :)

Thanks
CostaCossie

by LucyFord » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:41 pm

Yeah, it's not always going to be painless to start. If you put some lubricant [I've used Vaseline, but I've seen it recommended that you use only water-based, like KY] on the jewelry, it'll be lots more comfortable.
You've got the right idea- listen to what your body tells you. And keep everything clean. :] Good luck!
Ka-chow.
LucyFord

by corazon_de_oro » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:21 pm

Stretching should really never hurt. If you're starting from a "standard" ear piercing, you are currently at about 1mm, so you should start with 16G, which is 1.2mm. It stings because your ears aren't ready for that big of a stretch.
If you can't put the whole taper in all at once, you need to wait longer. Tapers shouldn't be pushed in gradually.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by soundandfury » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:50 pm

i dont think feeling a bit of pain on the first pair is a terrible thing, only that you might want to wait longest on moving up, they are very fragile when they are first streched. just treat them kind is all.
soundandfury

by ast.riske » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:20 pm

I second what Corazon de Oro said. Don't skip gauges and you'll fare much better. You really shouldn't have much pain at all during stretching. If it feels warm and, maybe a little tingly, you're spot on. Pain is your body telling you something is wrong.

That said, if you try the 16g and it still feels painful, you may have really tight fistulas, like a friend of mine does. She can only wear 20g jewelry comfortably. Take your standard jewelry and measure it against a gauge wheel or, better, use a caliper to measure it. You may have to move to an 18g first, then 16g and so on. Good luck!
Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster; and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you.
-Fredrick Nietzsche

Pericings:
2g Lobes
6g Septum

Want:
Frenulum Linguae
Left inner conch
Right helix
ast.riske

Return to New To Stretching