Stereotypes:

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by BassPlayer95 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:19 pm

How do you deal with stereo types? I get called emo a lot because of the type of music I listen to andhow I act. I get called weird or mean. Thisis not my fault, I have a high-functioning form of autism called Aspergers. People with Aspergers can seem mean or rude without really meaning to. This also means I get very obsessed over things, right now it's earstretching. Normally my obsessions are passing, but how do I convince family and friends that

1. This is not me being OCD obsessive
2. I'm not doing it just cause dudes in hardcore bands have stretched ears
3. Because my friends have stretched ears.

P.S. If you can make sense of my rambling, I applaud you.
I feel like such a noob, because I don't have any piercings or tatts.

Have: The standard 20g, pierced with a gun, lobes.

Want: A couple tatts, 7/16 lobes maybe a lip piercing or two.

P.S. I'm an avid Harry Potter freak.
BassPlayer95

by chevymane » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:20 am

stereotypes come with anything in life...imagine being a heavily tatted black man with stretched ears in a mainly caucasion area...i hear all kinds of shit but oh well life goes on im to old to care how my appearance may or may not effect those in my presence...
currently 19mm 1st holes 4mm second holes 8mm septum

goal 25mm 1st holes 5mm second holes (maybe) 12mm septum
chevymane

by BassPlayer95 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:19 pm

Neat man. Thanks.

BassPlayer95

by ViolentJayne » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:23 pm

i think the best way to combat stereotypes is to prove them wrong .. sometimes people expect me to be like some really mean inconsiderate chick cause I have so many mods I prove them wrong by being very nice and polite and very considerate even if they are asking rude questions about my mods ....they usually feel kind of stupid in the end when they realize I dont fit into their stereotype lol
4ga lobes ,14ga 2nd hole lobes. 14ga tounge
full sleeve and 7 other Tattoos

SHE'S ALWAYS NICE
AND GIVES ADVICE
WHEN WE DONT HAVE A CLUE
SHE NEEDS NO HELP
FROM YOU
ViolentJayne

by cuteexplodenkitties » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:20 pm

No matter what you do in life, how you dress, or what kind of music you like you will be judged. The best thing you can do is be yourself. Don't change who you are to fit into what people consider normal. Hold your head high and be the best person you can be, if people can not accept you the way you are then move on. They are not worth sacraficing your values or your individuality.
Have
0g Lobes
Left Helix
Right Lower Lip
3 Tattoos
Retired
Left Lower Lip
Left Nostril
Both Nipples :(
Want
Tongue
Navel
cuteexplodenkitties

by LucyFord » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:51 am

Well :/ Having Asperger's already puts you in a bad spot as far as misunderstood intentions go.
All you can really do is be straightforward and don't get sore about it. If people want to judge and/or dislike you for things beyond your control, they're going to. You have to choose how to react.

By the way, about family disliking your stretched piercings... My parents really hate mine, but as long as I wear simple jewelry in subtle colors, they don't pay a lot of attention to them. I don't know about anyone else, but as soon as I switched to plugs from tapers, my mom stopped fussing about them. :] Best of luck!
Ka-chow.
LucyFord

by Big Chicken » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:06 am

Hey,

I think the reaction to this question is pretty positive. I think there are a lot of idiots around who are happy to voice their negative comments about other peoples appearances and choices. If people don't like what you wanna do, wear, pierce, tattoo, whatever, than that is there problem - not yours.

The other responses just go to show that for all the dumb people, there are lot of nice people around, who will accept you for who you are and what you wanna do.

My family weren't keen on me stretching my lobes, but I'm taking it slowly and people seemed to have stopped saying anything after the initial fuss!!

Hope that helps?!

BC
Big Chicken

by BassPlayer95 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:01 pm

Thanks guys. Also, Big Chicken, I LOVE your screen name.

BassPlayer95

by amanda86 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:56 am

HI i don't listen to them, I've had a mohawk from the age of 14-21 then i got dreadlocks which i love, i have tattoo's piercings etc, and i listen to heavy metal always have always will. i get called freak goth :s goth so far away from me lmao. I'm now 26 and couldn't careless, you find its the immature people who say things. But to be honest i wouldn't worry about stereotypes, i never have. I wear what i want and look how i want, as long as I'm happy, and my partner doesn't mind, to be honest he doesn't care :D lol. But don't worry about it, stereotypes are pointless as i say never judge a book by its cover.
Lobes
10mm lobes first hole left and right

5mm lobes second and third holes

Plus other piercings

lip
nose
navel
Cartilage upper left

Tattoo:

left upper are
right upper arm
amanda86

by akPhilly » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:22 am

Yeah,unfortunately,people are always going to stereotype other people,no matter what.Or assume stuff about you that may not even be correct based off of stuff that really doesn't make you who you are,as in the case where people assume you're 'emo',when you'd probably be way happier watching a Harry Potter movie as opposed to watching some emo band.I'm the same way;even though I may have stretched ears,piercings,& tattoos,the stuff I like is alot different than people may assume.

But as far as what your family & friends think,alot of times,when you're young,people assume that when you like something,especially like stretching your ears,that it's just a 'phase'.So they'd likely think the same whether you had autism or not.Or,they just assume you're doing it because of certain reasons,when you're not.I know I had my ears stretched as a teenager,& took them out & let them shrink-I'd listened to everyone else & assumed I'd be happy when I was older,but I missed them too much for many years,so finally did it again at the age of 30.My ears are 1/2" now,& weren't nearly that size when I was younger,but at least I wouldn't have had to start all over again from scratch had I just kept them in.But people are always going to assume that it's just a passing thing that you'll regret when your older.They'll eventually realize that it's not,but in the meantime,if it's something you really love,then you should do it. :)
AkPhilly,
Philadelphia,PA
3/4" (19mm) earlobes
14g industrial
12g tongue
7 tattoos
retired septum (though considering resurrecting it :),monroe,navel

WANT: both conchs,& microdermal,& more tattoos!
akPhilly

Return to New To Stretching