Should I do it?

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by mnms » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:54 am

Hi there!
I'm new here, 20 years old and soon to be moving out of my parents house to go to University.

I was really interested in stretching a couple of years ago but then forgot about it, now I've reignited the interest and am seriously considering going for it this time.

I talked to my parents about it and my Mum is kinda grossed out by it and my Dads reaction was definitely one of disgust. They generally support me in getting a tattoo but ear stretching creeps them out way more.

This makes me question whether I should do it or not. I have a lot of respect for my parents and very rarely do things they don't like. But this is something I feel is important to me and something I want to do as a change in myself.

I've never had any kind of piercing before and I am a very indecisive person so I flit between wanting to do it and being unsure about it.

I'm basically asking if you, as an impartial observer, feel that I should go for it? Even if my parents don't like it?
I just get scared because I know its a very big change and potentially a permanent one! So any advice about taking the plunge is appreciated!
mnms

by corazon_de_oro » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:42 pm

Well, you're 20 years old so it's entirely up to you. Is having stretched ears worth the effect (if any) it would have on your relationship with your parents? Chances are, they're going to love you no matter what you do, and you seem like a responsible, intelligent person, so I'm sure that means way more to them.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by mnms » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:46 pm

Thanks for the reply corazon! I think they would take a while to get used to it but as long as I have a long and sensible conversation with them over how big I want to go and that I'm going to do it as carefully as possible I think I will have their support :P

Its just my indecisiveness that makes me nervous about the whole process!
mnms

by corazon_de_oro » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:14 pm

I know what you mean, I'm very indecisive. But I know my stretches will be permanent (I went down a size a few months ago and one of my lobes didn't shrink a bit) and I definitely don't regret it. To me it's just like having "normal" piercings, but way better because you get cooler jewelry. :)
Your parents should be glad you're even telling them! I'm also 20 and my parents actually don't know I have stretched ears. I don't go out of my way to hide them but they've never noticed and I'm not gonna be the first to bring it up! Haha
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by mnms » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:00 pm

Exactly! Its definitely all the beautiful jewellery that draws me to it :P
I'm a wuss, I don't think I could do anything without at least a little bit of parental consent haha! :P Plus I have short hair so I could never hide it! :D
mnms

Return to New To Stretching