Initial piercing

Forum rules
NO SPAM

by theradioschizo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:23 pm

Ok, so I haven't gotten my ears pierced yet and have been looking at doing it for the sole purpose of later stretching them (I don't really like dangly type earrings, at least on me), so I'm wondering what size is safe to get the initial piercing at.

I know that getting the hole punched at a larger gauge will make it impossible to close back up without surgery. I read somewhere to start with 20-18 gauge, but I've heard of other getting 12g holes pierced right away. I also remember that I got my septum pierced with a 14g and later had to take it out and it healed up fine, though I don't exactly know how it looks since it's obviously in my nose.
theradioschizo

by joexxx » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:11 pm

Ya i got my ears pierced initially at a 14G waited 2 months, then i stretched them. I think its called scalped or something when they actually cut ear lobe out.. But your safe to get them started at a 14G for sure. As long as you don't pass the point of no return (0G-00G) and do healthy stretches, your ears will go back to normal.
joexxx

by corazon_de_oro » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:30 pm

18 or 20G is usually what you get when you get pierced with a gun, which is always a terrible idea... As far as needles go, any size is safe to get pierced with; it just depends on what your piercer has in stock and is willing to do. I got pierced at 10G. My piercer had 8G but I chickened out a bit. It was really no different than any of my other piercings... it bled a lot but and they got really crusty if I skipped sea salt soaks but other than that they healed wonderfully. I stretched to 8G after six months with no problems and now I'm at 6G.
I would really recommend getting pierced at a larger gauge if you're planning on stretching. It saves money in the long run and you're less likely to be tempted to stretch early.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

Return to New To Stretching