Help/Advice

Concerned? Do you want someone to have a look at your stretched ear? Post a picture here

Moderator: Tom

Forum rules
BE NICE & NO SPAM

by Big Chicken » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:14 pm

Hello,

I've just had my left lobe repierced at 3mm, and have an acrylic plug through it. It is pierced above a previous piercing which was fairly problematic.

I had the new piercing done on Saturday, and it has got really sore/red. Not sure if this is an infection or just a reaction to the piercing. What do you think???

Here is my other healthy (?) lobe in comparrison...

What do you think?

Cheers
Big Chicken

by Big Chicken » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:21 pm

Big Chicken

by ast.riske » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:11 pm

Big Chicken wrote:Hello,

I've just had my left lobe repierced at 3mm, and have an acrylic plug through it. It is pierced above a previous piercing which was fairly problematic.

I had the new piercing done on Saturday, and it has got really sore/red. Not sure if this is an infection or just a reaction to the piercing. What do you think???

Here is my other healthy (?) lobe in comparrison...

What do you think?

Cheers

Piercings are going to be sore for anywhere from 1-6 weeks after you have them done. That said, you should really switch the acrylic for a safer material. Acrylic is a porous material which will harbor bacteria. Also, if you are wearing it in a healing piercing, the healing tissue can stick to the plug, which will hinder the healing process. Acrylic should really only be worn in completely healed piercings and stretches. I would try to find something in steel or glass for the healing period. I will make healing easier and it may cut down on the irritation you are seeing in your ear right now.

Best of luck!
Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster; and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you.
-Fredrick Nietzsche

Pericings:
2g Lobes
6g Septum

Want:
Frenulum Linguae
Left inner conch
Right helix
ast.riske

by corazon_de_oro » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:39 pm

Acrylic shouldn't be worn in a new piercing. They didn't pierce you with the acrylic, did they? If so, there's no way it could be sterile since acrylic can't be autoclaved. It's normal for piercings to be sore and play up every now and then, but that lobe looks like something is making it angry. Maybe it's a reaction to the acrylic or the silicone o-rings, or maybe the o-rings are too tight. Get a glass, titanium, or steel plug and make sure your o-rings are loose.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by ast.riske » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:53 pm

A quick addendum to what Lindsay had to say, if your piercer put acrylic in a fresh piercing, please find new jewelry AND a new piercer.
Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster; and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you.
-Fredrick Nietzsche

Pericings:
2g Lobes
6g Septum

Want:
Frenulum Linguae
Left inner conch
Right helix
ast.riske

by Big Chicken » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:48 pm

Hello my fellow stretchers,

Thanks for your replies.

Bad news. Just been to see my Doctor and he says I have a bad infection. It is mega sore and has spread a bit down my face and a bit down my neck. Yeah, he put an acryllic plug in the fresh piercing... it's what's there now. Doing some salt washes, and got some massive antibiotics from the Doctor to take. Gonna order a glass/steel plug to swap in. My piercer said not to take the acryllic plug out for two weeks so hope it will swap out ok. Completed bummed out by all of this. I'm also caring for a new tattoo at the moment!!!!!

Aaaaargh!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Big Chicken

by corazon_de_oro » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:15 pm

That piercer seriously needs to be reported to health inspectors. The only way to sterilize a piece of jewelry is to put it in an autoclave, and acrylic would melt in an autoclave, so yeah... Sucks that you got an infection from someone being so careless. :( I hope it gets better soon!
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by Big Chicken » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:01 pm

Well, after a week (or nearly) of being on some funky tablets from my doctor, the infection seems to have cleared up. Just continuing to keep it clean, and do salt washes etc. Not sure how long to keep doing the salt washes for. Have a steel plug in now too so hopefully that will help.
Big Chicken

by ast.riske » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:15 pm

Big Chicken wrote:Well, after a week (or nearly) of being on some funky tablets from my doctor, the infection seems to have cleared up. Just continuing to keep it clean, and do salt washes etc. Not sure how long to keep doing the salt washes for. Have a steel plug in now too so hopefully that will help.

I'm really glad to hear the infection is on its way out. That peircer is being really unsafe. I agree with Lindsay, he should be reported. When you're ready for another piercing, talk with the piercer. Ask them about the procedure, cleaning methods, etc. If you are in a reputable shop, you should feel comfortable asking so much as to see their autoclave. Ask about materials as well. The should only be using autoclave-safe, inert materials such as implant-grade steel, glass or titanium.

Best of luck and thanks for the update!
-Fredrick Nietzsche

Pericings:
2g Lobes
6g Septum

Want:
Frenulum Linguae
Left inner conch
Right helix
ast.riske

Return to Visual Help