Are Silicon Gauges Bad?

Discuss all things ear stretching

by fallenmax » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:05 pm

Ive Heard So Many Things. And I Wana Know Before I Use The Ones I Just bought. Someone Help Me please
fallenmax

by Tom » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:24 pm

Ive heard they are bad to have in your ears for a long period of time. I usually leave mine in for a few weeks, then switch over to stone or wood plugs. Not to sure on this one though
Plugs, Tunnels, Tapers, Spirals, Rings & More UrbanBodyJewelry.com
Tom

by skylorlambert » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:18 pm

Well it really just depends on what the strength of the silicone is, if it's a think flexible silicone, I don't think it's the best for your ears specially when you haven't been at the size you are at for a long time now. If it's the more hard silicone then I think you will be fine, there shouldn't be any problem. :)
Currently Stretched At: 1-1/8in
Others: Snakebites, and both conchs.
Websites: Blog, Photography, Twitter, Facebook.
skylorlambert

by fallenmax » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:22 am

Sweet thanks I just Havent Found Any Tapers For 11/16 And I Heard You Can Gauge With Silicon And then After I Bought Them I Heard It Was A Bad Idea
fallenmax

by skylorlambert » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:59 pm

Yeah just make sure that they are the hard silicone, not the soft. I've stretched up a size with the hard silicone, and it worked just fine.
skylorlambert

by luv2bdifrent » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:44 pm

wood or organic or stone plugs are cleaner and safer and do not harbor bacteria as much. when you wear silicone plugs they make your ears stink more so it must do something, right? I wouldn't necessarily say they are BAD for you but just maybe not as good...
luv2bdifrent

by corazon_de_oro » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:55 pm

Be careful stretching with silicone; they expand in your ears and might stretch them before they're ready. A lot of people say silicone makes their ears dry and irritated, especially in a fresh stretch. Maybe you could try dead-stretching or using teflon/PTFE tape to get to 11/16"?
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by Fishnets and Malice » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:51 pm

Stretching is not a good idea, I heard
Fishnets and Malice

by skylorlambert » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:34 pm

I've stretched once with Silicone plugs, and I had no bad consequence. But for me it depends on what my body will take and what it won't. Certain silicone plugs made me irritated and caused an infection, as with others they didn't. To be on the safe side I just say you go with your conventional wood, acrylic, or stainless steel plug.
skylorlambert

by dave » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:30 pm

just to clarify some things, silicone should only be used in your ears when they are fully healed from streching. be cause the silicon plug is porus (sorry, i suck at spelling), a fresh strech will grow into those pores causing then to rip and or tear when you try to take them out. also, using tapers made of any plastic material is a bad choice too. you should only use steel weights or glass plugs. you can also tape. but dont use electric tape. that stuff is bad news. use teflon (ptfe) tape, because its non adheasive. or you could also use bondage tape from the sex shop. it is also non adheasive. and its a little bit thicker.

anyone, feel free to ask me any streching questions. if i dont know the answer, ill do the research and find out for you.
if you have any qustions on streching, PM me and i will help you out.

also, i know of a site that has dirt cheap, good quality plugs.

hit me up.
dave

Return to Ear Stretching Discussion