Problems with jewelry - holes keep changing size

Discuss all things ear stretching

by jlet » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:28 am

I'm not sure how normal this is, but some days my ear holes are larger than other days. Sometimes my hangers fit snug enough to stay put, but other times they're so loose I can see a gap in the hole and I need an ugly o-ring to hold the earring on. I hate how o-rings look on most hangers :(.

This presents problems with jewelry. I always order my jewelry online, so I can't see each piece in person before ordering. Sometimes you get hand carved pieces that are not always exactly to the millimeter, and if I happen to get an earring which is carved just 'slightly' small but still considered 4 gauge, it is too loose and can fall out (I think I'm actually a large 4 gauge, like a 3 gauge) yet the next size up (2 gauge) is too big. It's so frustrating, not to mention a huge waste of money, and disappointment when it happens with a favorite design.

Since I'm only a 4 gauge (5mm), I can and do sometimes wear "regular" stud earrings with a wide enough front and back. I guess when the holes seem really stretched (from days on end of wearing gauge earrings), I could go for a week or so and wear regular studs to shrink the holes enough to wear the ones mentioned above that are too loose. Of course that's pretty inconvenient... I'd like to be able to wear whichever earrings I want to on any given day.

Anyone else have this problem? I hope someone can give a little insight into what is happening, and what to do about it. Thanks!
jlet

Return to Ear Stretching Discussion