POLL: Would you/Have you let your kids stretch their ears?

Discuss all things ear stretching

by akPhilly » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:39 pm

I don't have children, but I've wondered to myself if I would allow my kids to stretch their ears if they asked. As far as piercing goes, I don't view piercings as that big of a deal,so I'd long ago decided that I'd be cool w/letting my kids pierce pretty much whatever.Not their nipples or genitals,but in my opinion,most kids, if given a choice, probably wouldn't pick those piercings anyway. They want other kids to be able to see it,& it's not like you can walk around topless or bottomless at school. Plus I guess part of me also would allow piercings in the hopes that that would 'satisfy' them for the time being so if they wanted a tattoo, they'd hold off. I have nothing against tattoos (have them myself), & not every young person later regrets theirs,but there's always that worry.

So that led me to thoughts on stretching. Would I allow them to stretch their ears. After alot of thought,& taking my own experiences into account, I decided that if it was something they wanted to do,I'd let them do it to a 00g. Now once they're out of the house, it's up to them, but I figured that although not every young person regrets doing stuff,many do. So at 00g, they'd likely shrink back if they changed their minds. But who knows-being that I have stretched ears, it may never be an issue if I had kids because alot of times,kids don't want to do what their parents do, or they view what their parents wear as 'uncool', so maybe it'd be the last thing they'd want. But I still have thought about it.

So how about you? Would you let your kids do it? To a point, or not at all? Or if you have kids already, have you let them?
AkPhilly,
Philadelphia,PA
3/4" (19mm) earlobes
14g industrial
12g tongue
7 tattoos
retired septum (though considering resurrecting it :),monroe,navel

WANT: both conchs,& microdermal,& more tattoos!
akPhilly

by corazon_de_oro » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:26 pm

I'd say 14-16 for non-lobe piercings, 16 for stretched lobes up to about a 2G, 18 for everything else. Especially tattoos.
The age at which they could get piercings would depend on their maturity level.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by amanda86 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:36 am

Hmmm yes i would, once they hit 16. but ti be honest i cant talk lol i had my lip, navel, ears, nose all pierced before i was 16.
Lobes
10mm lobes first hole left and right

5mm lobes second and third holes

Plus other piercings

lip
nose
navel
Cartilage upper left

Tattoo:

left upper are
right upper arm
amanda86

by Tom » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:59 pm

i think 16 is a good age as well. Im not saying 1" lobes at 16, but more along the lines of 10G - 4G
Plugs, Tunnels, Tapers, Spirals, Rings & More UrbanBodyJewelry.com
Tom

by akPhilly » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:15 pm

That's interesting, everyone seems to be saying 16. I'd actually now that you all mention it never really thought about what exact age though, but I guess I wouldn't let them be stretching & piercing when they're 12 or whatever. And actually, where I live (Philadelphia), it's 18 to get pierced/tattooed without a parent of course, but even with a parent, places won't do work on kids under 16. That must be a local law though, not a PA law because I grew up in a suburb about an hour outside of Philadelphia, & I got my belly button pierced at 15,with my mom there of course.
AkPhilly,
Philadelphia,PA
3/4" (19mm) earlobes
14g industrial
12g tongue
7 tattoos

akPhilly

by corazon_de_oro » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:26 am

I said 16 since it marks the beginning of the "late teens," when MOST teens start to think a little more like adults.
Wow, that's weird about the piercing/tattoo laws there. I can completely understand not allowing tattoos or extreme mods like punches on people under 18, but not piercings. I always think it's funny that we have laws like that yet no one seems to care about parents taking their babies to get their lobes gunned at Claire's... but that's another rant!
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by akPhilly » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:04 pm

Yeah,I'd thought about that too. I actually didn't know about it because I didn't move here til I was 19, so by that age I could go on my own. But recently I was on the website of the piercing place I go to, & I saw the thing about 16 w/a parent there. Then I found out that all the places around here are like that. So I'd thought what if your kid wanted their ears pierced-that'd mean they'd have no choice but to go to a place like Claire's or whatever. And most kids aren't going to want to wait til their 16 just so they can get it done properly w/a needle. I actually got my ears pierced at Claire's when I was 10 & they turned out even & healed fine,but I must've got lucky. But that was back in 1991/1992, & back then I think most people still thought a gun was the better way.
AkPhilly,
Philadelphia,PA
3/4" (19mm) earlobes
14g industrial
12g tongue
7 tattoos

akPhilly

by corazon_de_oro » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:38 pm

Yeah, one thing I really like about my piercer is she'll do lobes with needles on young kids, I think as young as 6 or 7. I'm sure she doesn't get to do it very often since most parents go to Claire's without a second thought but at least it keeps some people from going there.
I got mine gunned at Claire's when I was like 9, then again at Walmart later on and it was a nightmare. They never healed. Didn't get them repierced until I was 18 and had them done at 10G, and they healed wonderfully.
I'm Lindsay.
corazon_de_oro

by akPhilly » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:26 am

I was 10 when I got my first holes at Claire's. And I got my second holes there when I was maybe 11,& they healed up ok too-but it was the same exact girl that did my first holes.I think I got real lucky w/that because she seemed to be able to at least do it evenly. Some people can't.I don't wear my second holes anymore though because they'd be too close to the edge of my plugs. Alot say if you got them done w/a gun to let them close & repierce them if you're gonna stretch them,but that wasn't an option for me because I'd had them for so long they'd never close. But back when I was a kid,I think people almost though that getting your ears pierced w/a needle was like, barbaric, lol!

Although when my sister got hers pierced,she went to the Piercing Pagoda. And I could be remembering this wrong,because I was like,7 at the time,but I think I remember them using this thing where it wasn't a gun,but it wasn't a normal piercing needle.I kind of remember this syringe looking thing. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong,because I can't think of what that'd possibly be. But she said it hurt like hell & hers never healed correctly,were constantly giving her problems & pain,& she had to take them out & let them close after a few months.
AkPhilly,
Philadelphia,PA
3/4" (19mm) earlobes
14g industrial
12g tongue
7 tattoos

akPhilly

by firebutterfly » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:53 am

Absolutely...My daughter is sixteen now. When I began stretching a little over a year ago, she showed serious interest in stretching as well. So I gave her the green light, but told her no bigger than a 0g. until she was 18. She was very patient and stretched slowly along with me, she finally got to an 8g. and then decided it was "not her thing"...lol. I am now at 00g. in both lobes. I kinda think that when your mom is doing it, it kinda makes it less cool or something...lol :)
I have 9 piercings (tongue, lip, both nostrils, tragus, lobes) I am currently a 00g. :) I have 16 tattoos and want way more...money, or lack there of, is the only thing holding me back;)
firebutterfly

Next

Return to Ear Stretching Discussion