Poll: What sizes do you feel are 'milestones'?

Discuss all things ear stretching

by akPhilly » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:29 am

Everyone has different goal sizes,many of which changes over time. So therefore, when one reaches their goal, or a point where they feel is an important step towards their goal, is going to vary from person to person. But in my own experience, & from what others have said & what I'd imagine others may feel, I think there are certain sizes that when you reach them, feels more of a big deal to you than other sizes. These are the ones I felt were kind of important to me:

-8g, because it seems like it's the point where a plug starts to look like a plug more so than an earring
-2g, because it's only 1 step away from 0g!
-0g -like many people,that was my original goal size.Ended up going bigger,but at that size,you can really see through the hole when you wear tunnels,& most styles look good at that size.And,you pretty much have your pick of whatever style you want.Plus,I noticed that once I was at 0g,the waiting in bet. seemed so much easier,& the time seemed to go by faster.
-7/16", because you're now at a size that I know I kind of considered in a whole other category;you're now past the sizes that are measured in gauges (occasionally,I've seen 7/16" referred to as 000g,but that's something you very rarely see)

Now,I'm at 9/16" & plan to stay there;I always say that,but I really mean it this time (always say that too!),so I can't speak for the sizes larger than that.

What sizes did/do you all feel were or are more of a big deal to you more than others?
AkPhilly,
Philadelphia,PA
3/4" (19mm) earlobes
14g industrial
12g tongue
7 tattoos
retired septum (though considering resurrecting it :),monroe,navel

WANT: both conchs,& microdermal,& more tattoos!
akPhilly

by corazon_de_oro » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:32 am

I pretty much agree with you, but I'd maybe put 1/2" as the next milestone after 0G. After that I'd say 5/8" because IMO it's the size where they start to look "big." And of course 1" is a milestone.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by sh4ky » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:32 am

Pretty much you both got it covered except for larger sizes.
My thought on 0g was to use it as a goal because i more commonly found it mentioned as the 'point of no return' size.
Also I was thinking 1/2in because, considering we use metric here, there's no rounding off for this size like we have for most others. Eg: 00g is 10mm, not 9, 10.5 etc. So its definitely 1/2in.
Clever got me this far, then tricky got me in

Piercings:
Left lobe- 00g first hole, 2g second hole
Right lobe- 0g
Right helix rim- 14g x3 around top
Right brow- 14g x 2
And others ;-) retired
sh4ky

by akPhilly » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:10 am

Yeah,I pretty much agree w/you guys as far as the other sizes too;I can't speak for anything larger than my current size,& I'm stopping here,but I'd agree that I'd imagine that if I were to go larger,that I'd feel 5/8" to be a big deal too,because it does seem to be a 'big' size-not sure,but I think the difference between 9/16"-5/8" is 2mm,right? And I'd have to imagine 1" is too of course,but I think I'd probably also have to think that 3/4" is probably a big deal too,because I guess it's like,more of an 'even' sounding number,is the best way I can describe it.

But I don't know what it is,but for me anyway,it seemed like the waiting time in between sizes was FOREVER up until a 0g,& then past there, it seemed easier. I guess for me it was because it was originally my goal size,so each time after that I went up I didn't have it in my head from before that I was going to do it. Also,I think it may have been since at that point you can really start to see through them, I guess I'd be more 'satisfied' with the size I would be at,even if I'd decided to increase & had to wait more time to heal
AkPhilly,
Philadelphia,PA
3/4" (19mm) earlobes
14g industrial
12g tongue
7 tattoos

akPhilly

by sh4ky » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:06 am

Yeah definitely, for me too, the wait between had never been that bad once i got to a size you could see through. I guess 4g was it for me. Although the jump from 2-0g, cos I didn't have any 1g jewellery but did it using tape, was a big one as well with the tunnel hole increasing 2mm.

Piercings:
Right lobe- 0g
Right brow- 14g x 2
And others ;-) retired
sh4ky

by akPhilly » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:30 pm

Yeah,the jump from 2-0 is a big one;I'd bought 1g plugs back when I was going to that size,so I guess I wasn't just one step away from 0g when I was at a 2g. But now that I think of it,for me anyway,getting to a 10mm 00g seemed like a big deal too.For that,I had to go to a 9mm 00g first,then eventually a 10mm 00g.Since it's 2mm larger than a 0g,it really made a big difference in how it appeared.That seemed to be the size where I started to see them showing up when I'd get my photo taken.

But it's amazing how in general, a mm is such a teeny unit of measurement,but when you're talking in terms of the circumference of a circle,a mm makes alot of difference in how the size appears.I've always kind of compared it to measuring diamonds & gemstones;alot of times,a mm can be the difference of a half carat or more even.A 1.5ct. diamond appears so much larger than a 1ct. diamond,yet they're only about a mm or so apart as far as the circumference of the table.So 2mm really makes a difference :)
AkPhilly,
Philadelphia,PA
3/4" (19mm) earlobes
14g industrial
12g tongue
7 tattoos

akPhilly

by sh4ky » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:30 pm

Oh yeah and 10mm, for us metric speaking people, is double digits!!!

It is funny about the whole 1mm/ circle curcumference thing. I was sooooo amazed when I got my 0g in as we'll as the 00 for the huge jump in size. Considereing I have the 2g and 00g in the same lobe, they are hugely different being 4mm apart but it's only two sizes (plus a lot of tape) for me.

Piercings:
Right lobe- 0g
Right brow- 14g x 2
And others ;-) retired
sh4ky

by akPhilly » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:36 am

I know-I only recently went up to 9/16",which is only 1mm from where I was before,& a few of my plugs I liked so well that I just bought the same ones in a bigger size,& it's amazing how much more a design shows by just a mm bigger. And for plain tunnels,you can really see the difference when they're side by side.Pretty sure I'm really stopping for good this time,but if I didn't,I think the next size up for me would be 5/8".And I may be mistaken,but I think 5/8" is 16mm,so I'd imagine they'd really look alot larger.I'm sure they make 15mm plugs,but for most styles,the order seems to be 9/16,then 5/8".I'd be curious to hold up a 5/8" plug next to mine just to see the difference,but I still think I'm stopping at this size. :)
AkPhilly,
Philadelphia,PA
3/4" (19mm) earlobes
14g industrial
12g tongue
7 tattoos

akPhilly

by mouse2cat » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:29 am

Ok I will say that 6g is my milestone. It was my goal size and I feel it is where hanging styles start to look really cool.
mouse2cat

by akPhilly » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:50 am

I can totally see where 6g would feel like a milestone, because after 8g, isn't that when the sizes start to be a whole mm apart? Because I know the difference between a 6g and 8g seems to be a larger one in appearance. And alot of people talk about 6g being a more difficult stretch. I didn't have any trouble w/that one, but I've heard alot of people say that. And a 6g spiral does look alot different than an 8g spiral. I didn't think to buy any spirals when I was that size-I guess for some reason I thought they didn't have them in that size. Although I was trying to be as economical as possible,so I just stuck to the bare necessities up until more recent months.
AkPhilly,
Philadelphia,PA
3/4" (19mm) earlobes
14g industrial
12g tongue
7 tattoos

akPhilly

Return to Ear Stretching Discussion