Lobe Soreness

Discuss all things ear stretching

by deviantxy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:10 am

I got some glass spirals as a treat for myself since I have been wearing tunnels since I started stretching. It seems even if I wear them for only an hour my ears get a bit tender. I wore them for a few hours today and my ears are now quite sore. It goes away after a few hours of putting my tunnels back in but I'm disappointed and I hope this won't continue. I'm guessing its because they are a bit heavier than what I'm used to but my lobes have been at this size for a month so I wouldn't think they would get so upset at just glass spirals. They are not tight or anything so that's not it. My ears don't actually get red or anything they just feel sore. Anyone have any advice?
Have______________________
Lobes 00G (9mm)

Want______________________
1/2in Lobes
16g-14g Snakebites
deviantxy

by sh4ky » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:30 pm

Seems like you should've waited longer than a month. The extra weight, along with the fact the spirals can swing a bit when your head moves, therefore moving inside your lobes (whereas your tunnels didn't) and perhaps irritating them would all be factors that are causing the soreness. Also were the spirals sterilized?
Clever got me this far, then tricky got me in

Piercings:
Left lobe- 00g first hole, 2g second hole
Right lobe- 0g
Right helix rim- 14g x3 around top
Right brow- 14g x 2
And others ;-) retired
sh4ky

by corazon_de_oro » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:12 pm

Do you play with/touch them a lot? Sometimes when I wear tunnels I mess with them too much and my lobes get a little sore. If it's not that I'd say it's from the weight, just give them a little longer and they should be fine.

I saw your picture of them on BAF earlier, I was thinking of buying a pair but I can't decide if I should get them in my size or a smaller size to wear as earskins or just alone like weights.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by mouse2cat » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:44 pm

Yea, I find that the spirals move more during the course of the day than a simple plug. Give your ears a little more time before you try them again. Another possibility is that sometime the gauge size can vary subtly. So it could be that your spirals are a teeny bit larger gauge than your plugs and that + movement could also irritate a one month old stretch.

As for weight, I am not sure what gauge you are and I know this sounds weird but I actually like the acrylic spirals because they are so light weight and they are usually more prefect gauge size. I'd stay away from wood for the time being even though they are also light because the surface can be a little "grabby" and that might irritate your ears even more.
mouse2cat

by deviantxy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:44 am

I tried them again for thanksgiving and they were fine. Maybe I just needed I bit more time.
Have______________________
Lobes 00G (9mm)

Want______________________
1/2in Lobes
16g-14g Snakebites
deviantxy

Return to Ear Stretching Discussion